Changing the air filter on a VW is an epic event

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess VAG hasn't improved air filter access over the years then. My CIS injected VWs/Audi ranged from a pain (Mk1 Rabbit and Mk2 Jettas) to a nightmare (Audi 4000 and '90 Passat). The only one that was easy was my '91 Jetta Diesel. The others had the air filter mounted underneath the CIS injection's fuel distributor/air vane unit.

Andrew S.

I thought the Ford Focus PZEV with the "lifetime" filter and the Powerstrokes with their Donaldson filters were worse...

Ever notice how many VW Beetles are driving around with one headlight out? It's because changing the [censored] bulb is a nightmare.

Originally Posted By: adolan21
That's how my 2.0 TSI is. Most of my cars had the air box lid on by a few clips. The GTI had about 8 screws and to get to it easily, I had to remove one of the pipes. Seems surprising for them to do it like that since oil changes are so easy with the filter on top. Oh well, it's a once every 30K mile change for me.

The EP3 Civic is like this, too. Takes me 15 minutes to change the oil and filter and 30 to change the air filter. Also takes 300% more swear words.

Originally Posted By: AlienBug
Ever notice how many VW Beetles are driving around with one headlight out? It's because changing the [censored] bulb is a nightmare.
They're not that bad (I had one and changed multiple bulbs). The problem is when the plastic lever that you pull that pulls out the headlight assembly breaks.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
You guys have it easy on those cars.
Here's a link to the DIY on the Cayman forum:

http://www.planet-9.com/981-diy-discussion/115757-air-filter-replacement.html

There's two air filters on the Cayman.

BC.

There is a ridiculously good application for a restriction gauge. I would not want to dig those out unless completely necessary.
Absolutely; I mean the first thing I will do when I buy my brand new $100K Cayman is to drill a big hole in the intake to install the restriction gauge. No, I mean I will ask my butler to drill the hole.

Afraid I don't see it working out that way. Would have to be a factory installed electronic system, otherwise you'd have to dig nearly as deep just to check the gauge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back