Changing rear axil fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to you all in the past Here's my question. I have a 2005 town car Signature L and want to change the rear axil fluid with synthetic lubricant. The shop manual says to use SAE 80W-90, but I have been told that Synthetic SAE 75W-140 may also be used. I have never changed the lubricant before and the car now has 204,000 miles on it. Is it okay to use the SAE 75W-140 synthetic or must I use SAE 80W-90? Thanks to all.

I just had this discussion with member Trav regarding Ford's differentials. 75W140 is a better choice. The people who told you 75W-140 can be used are correct.

Thanks for your immediate response and your statement "God Bless Our Troops" As a retired Marine, I appreciate and endorse your statement. Thanks again.

Originally Posted By: Dennisistheman
Thanks for the correction. always willing to learn.

No worries and Thank You for your service.

Ex Coastie.

Thanks for your immediate response and your statement "God Bless Our Troops" As a retired Marine, I appreciate and endorse your statement. Thanks again.

Thank you for your service!

Originally Posted By: dogememe
75w-110

That was going to be my recommendation unless there was a lot of whine. Keeps you on the heavier end of what was initially specified.

Just my 2 cents:
No need for the 140 if you are not towing heavy stuff or hopped up the car with a supercharger and fueling and headers and road racing long distances A nice dino 85w-90 will do. No need for synthetic when using high volatility gear oil. Its got a good enough pour point. The additives do the hard work here not the base stock.

Enjoy!

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
If you go to a 75w-90 synthetic you will need new axle seals.
Pretty much guaranteed.

Interesting that I haven't experienced this in 30-40 year old Mercedes cars.

Think about it... You got 204k on the differential on the factory fill of 80w-90. What does that tell you? Use what is recommended by Ford, not someone's suggestion who has nothing to lose.

Last edited:
Thanks to you all in the past Here's my question. I have a 2005 town car Signature L and want to change the rear axil fluid with synthetic lubricant. The shop manual says to use SAE 80W-90, but I have been told that Synthetic SAE 75W-140 may also be used. I have never changed the lubricant before and the car now has 204,000 miles on it. Is it okay to use the SAE 75W-140 synthetic or must I use SAE 80W-90? Thanks to all.

What did you decide to do?

All export variants of this platform to the Middle East were factory filled with Motorcraft 75W-140 Synthetic Rear Axle Lubricant. I have a Torsen T-2 in mine, and this is the fluid I use, although I change it out a lot more frequently.

Check your door sticker to see what rear axle you have. If you have a locker, you will need XL-3 Friction Modifier Additive.

I may be mistaken, but I serviced my step dads Crown Vic, and the Ford dealer sold him 75w140 synthetic and told him that is what Ford was now recommending for them.
Same rear axle as a Town Car.

Yep. They put that in my Ranger's axle when it was rebuilt under warranty in 2006. I (stupidly) dumped it and put in 75w-90 synthetic. Now I'm finding out that Ford recommends 75w-140 synthetic in most all their solid axles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back