changing out a valve body in '06 Ford Five-Hundred

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle: 2006 Ford Five-Hundred 3.0 liter FWD 6 speed automatic, 259,000 miles

I have had a transmission that occasionally starts hunting and slamming gears when driving. I have driven around it for the past 50,000 miles but I was thinking about putting in a new valve body in the transmission as I understand that's what the problem is.

The Chilton manual mentions that you need some special tool from Ford to reprogram the transmission after putting in a new valve body. My question is, does anyone know a way around this and/or is this necessary?

My other question was, where could I find a cheap valve body?

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
What specific transmission is this??

I'm not sure, I just know that it's a 6 speed automatic manufactured by Aisin

Originally Posted By: Donald
I would get an indy tranmission shop to diagnose it and replace the valve body if needed.

I appreciate your input, but I'm not interested in that because it's too expensive. I'm interested in the possibility of finding a cheap valve body (Maybe in a junkyard) and paying a friend to change it out for me.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
259k on a transmission is very impressive

how's the fluid condition?

I tried changing the fluid at about 230k and it didn't make a difference. Haven't checked the condition of the fluid since then.

You need to program the new valve body to the transmission. On some you have to enter the barcodes from the new solenoids, actually the new ones you scan the QR code, so it knows the calibration set to the solenoids. If you don't program it, the trans will not go into gear.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
You need to program the new valve body to the transmission. On some you have to enter the barcodes from the new solenoids, actually the new ones you scan the QR code, so it knows the calibration set to the solenoids. If you don't program it, the trans will not go into gear.

That is some good information, is there any way a shade tree mechanic can easily get access to the tool that is used for doing this?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 7055

That is some good information, is there any way a shade tree mechanic can easily get access to the tool that is used for doing this?

Yup, just needs to drop about $10k and another 2-3k a year in software updates.

Ha, I enjoy hearing that this thing is still going. Sometimes the old saying is true. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

I see, so is there no way around that?

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
Ha, I enjoy hearing that this thing is still going. Sometimes the old saying is true. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

I know what you mean

I see, so is there no way around that?

Replace VB, then tow it to a place to have it reprogrammed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back