Changing LS Diff Fluid in 02 Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting ready to change the fluid in my 02 Exp with Limited Slip rear end.

I noticed that Mobil 1 already has the friction modifier in it. Does it have enough or should I go ahead and add the XL-3 friction modifier?

Also saw that Autozone has CRC friction modifier for LS diffs. Is this an OK product or should I stick with the Ford XL-3?

Try the gear oil without additional friction modifier. After the fill, drive in slow figure-8 turns for a few minutes to work the new fluid into the clutches. If you have no shudder, you're good. If it shudders, add a part of a tube of any LSD additive at a time until it's smooth.

Limited slip differential friction modifier is needed only in clutch-type limited slip differentials. The additive is already in differential gear oils that state that they're suitable for LS differentials.

When adding LSD additive, always use as little as possible. Definitely follow the directions above.

I don't follow you. My differential has clutch packs and the manual says to use XL-3 Friction Modifier.

Originally Posted By: Oldwolf
I don't follow you. My differential has clutch packs and the manual says to use XL-3 Friction Modifier.

If you use a fluid without a built-in FM, like the Motorcraft fluid. If you use something like the M1 fluid that already has it, you don't need it.

Whats there to follow? If your gear oil has NO LSD additive, then you need it. Since the M1 has a dose of LSD additive already, you may not need it, or you may only need a partial dose.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Whats there to follow? If your gear oil has NO LSD additive, then you need it. Since the M1 has a dose of LSD additive already, you may not need it, or you may only need a partial dose.

...depending on the chatter or lack of!

Originally Posted By: Jason2007
Use the M1 fluid w/LSD in it and you will be good to go.

That's what I'll do. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back