Changing ATF 2014 Nissan Ultima

I have a 2019 Rogue, and now that we are regularly below 32degrees F, my CVT runs at higher RPMs and “shifts” at higher RPMs until warmed up. Is it possible that is the issue?

I would recommend a Drain and Fill.

Good luck!

I have a 2019 Rogue, and now that we are regularly below 32degrees F, my CVT runs at higher RPMs and “shifts” at higher RPMs until warmed up. Is it possible that is the issue?

I would recommend a Drain and Fill.

Good luck!
Could be. But it just got “cold” here in southern VA.

For the 2014, I think you’re past the point of quick fixes. Consider it a lesson learned.

On the 2023, I stand by changing any AT/CVT fluid every 30K. Ideally use Nissan NS-3 during warranty, a dealer will use MOC/BG/Wynn’s “universal” fluids for customer-pay jobs - and the anecdotal evidence here points out Nissans do fine on aftermarket Castrol/Valvoline CVTFs. The goal is to keep the CVT’s belt from slipping on the variator pulleys on the inside.

Yep, I told them to do a D&F every 30K on their 2023.

A transmission guy told me to check for any transmission updates at Nissan dealer???

I talked to

he’s well aware of the possibilities. We talked about it for 20 minutes. He said the only problem is it acts like a jake brake when coasting down hill. He says it revs up a lot higher than if used to. No hard shifting. Only problem is when coasting. Under acceleration everything is fine. Hmmm….

He’s leaning towards doing nothing and running it til it conks out. I guessed a new CVT would be about $3500 installed. Does that sound about right?
I have a 2014 Altima, and the "Jake brake" going down hills is perfect normal on this year and model. I believe Nissan called is automatic engine braking. It's like downshifting to slow the car to save on brakes.
It can be quite noticable going down larger hills.

I'm told a Nissan dealer can make adjustments to the aggressiveness or even turn the function off.

And btw, I would be a proponent for doing a drain and fill or 2 on the CVT, even with the miles.
I bought my Altima with 143k miles, the transmission was performing ok when I got it, but I doubt the trans was ever serviced by how dark it looked. I did 2 drain and fills with Amsoil CVT fluid and the transmission is smoother and more responsive.

I’m leaning towards telling her to do a D&F with Nissan fluid and letting her know it could kill the CVT.

At least try and save it.

Her husband is one of my Elders. There won’t be any hard feelings either way.
I agree. I’m blessed with Nissan CVT X2. I’ve done two drain and fills at 50k and 100k. Watched the fluid come out at 50k. Very black. At 100k not so much. Trans is strong at 103k. We’ll see. This is the 2012 Versa.

Back