Changed Plugs and Serviced My Transmission, Now My AC Doesn't Work - Coincidence

As the title says, I change my plugs and wires and serviced my transmission on my 03 Suburban and on my test drive I found my AC doesn't work.
I was racking my brain, think what I could have done to create an AC problem. Did I short something when moving a wiring harness out of my way, do I check fuses, did I put too much pressure on the accumulator getting to rear plug and caused a leak, so many questions.
Got home to check it out and the belt was broken. a quick evaluation and the ac tensioner pulley is clearly shot.
Pure coincidence that it went out on my test drive after those other 2 services. I feel bad for you professional mechanics that would have been blamed for this by a general consumer who went in for a tune up and left with no AC.
I am kicking myself for not changing it when I did my idler pulley, water pump and power steering pump. It was all open and right there for the changing, but I did not have the part on hand so I didn't do it.
95 degrees in Florida today...looks like I will be changing this ASAP.

Took out the ac tensioner. The problem is not as obvious as I thought. The pulley is very dry and has a little play, but spins very freely. It is not locked up. However, as I have seen new pulleys, when you spin them, they spin a little, but will stop quickly. When I spin mine, it will continue spinning for 25 seconds before it stops, so I guess it is possible that this might generate heat when in motion that would lock it up? It just is not something so obvious that would break my belt.
The compressor pulley spins smoothly with no play, but not sure what would happen when the clutch is engaged.
Maybe there is another problem that caused the belt failure? The belt was in excellent condition, no cracks or rot.
For sure I need to replace the tensioner and belt anyways and I will see what happens when I start it up.

Any tips to inspect the compressor function while the belt is off?

While it might have been the tensioner that caused it......These Denso Compressors are known to get slugged down with oil causing internal damage.
If you hear the new Tensioner rattling at about 1400-1600 RPM.....The compressor has suffered internal damage & needs replaced along with flushing the entire system & balance the oil correctly.

While it might have been the tensioner that caused it......These Denso Compressors are known to get slugged down with oil causing internal damage.
If you hear the new Tensioner rattling at about 1400-1600 RPM.....The compressor has suffered internal damage & needs replaced along with flushing the entire system & balance the oil correctly.
Thanks, I will give it a listen when I hook up the new belt.

All done.
Another easy project. I love working on this engine.
No tensioner rattling. The old tensioner was definitely bad. It was clear when I had a new one to compare it to.

Back