Changed my oil for the first time on Thursday

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you change your oil filter all the time, you get used to the right amount of "torque" needed to adequately tighten it. The trick is to be able to remove it without a wrench, but not real easily. The rule-of-thumb I've always used (as mentioned before) is 3/4 turn after making full contact.

The cars I've had typically don't have much room for a filter wrench, and even if they do, other people tend to "borrow" my filter wrench and I can never find it when I need it. My best method is to wrap a black solid rubber bungee strap around the filter and twist. It gives me enough torque to get it off every time.

Welcome to the esoteric world of oil change do-it-yourselfers. You'll be glad you joined.

For me, a metal drip pan is essential (shown below). I think I paid $9 for mine about 12 years ago...one of the best investments I ever made. I don't use the collection pan shown, instead I use a 2 1/2 gallon plastic gas can with a large funnel to collect the drain stream.

-

quote:

Originally posted by eljefino:
How on earth do any of you guys keep clean enough hands for monkeying with the filter?

Change the filter first. Then after you have installed the new filter, drain the pan and allow the pan to drain until it stops dripping.

Do it with the oil good and warm but not hot enough to peel your skin off. The pan drains better if the oil is warm to mildly hot.

cheers.gif
Doing it yourself, you can put in better stuff for less money than paying a shop. Over the years I've accumulated an assortment of filter wrenches to fit different vehicles I've owned. Besides, it's fun. My wife (of 6 months) still can't figure out why I was so happy on Friday when she had enough miles on her car for me to change the oil. Auto-RX this time too, so I get to change it even sooner next two times.
grin.gif

I allways put a large piece of cardboard down, I usually make quite a mess.
grin.gif
I let the oil drain into a 4 gallon laundry soap bucket, and when it's done I pour it into empty 2 liter pop bottles. I usually go through about half a roll of paper towels every time I do it...
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Stabbin97Tahoe:
And try a different filter after one more purolator I have since I heard they are too restrictive and I tow frequently??? BTW, its a '97 Tahoe with 94,xxx miles...now 3 changes later on M1 since 89,xxx, no leaks
grin.gif
It isn't even broken in yet
cheers.gif

Nothing wrong with your Purolator filter, and no, they're not more restrictive than most. Feel good about using a Purolator Premium or Purolator One filter in the future.

Ken

If you have to use a filter wrench to get it off, it's too tight. Simple as that. Just hand tigthen it with moderate to hard force until it won't turn anymore with that amount of force. You don't have to then grit your teeth and go for the gold! It's already on hand tight.

Speaking of filters, I just changed the one on my Dad's truck to do an Auto RX run. I recently just threw my wrench away, cause I never have to use it. Oops! The place that recently did an oil change put the filter on so tight, that I had to use both hands with rubber gloves to get enough leverage on it. It was bending the remote filter mount bracket
shocked.gif
What the **** is wrong with lube personal at shops? Oh, and the drain plug. Breaker bar with HARD smacking of rubber mallet. How it never strips, I will never know.

There are directions on most oil filters. Follow them. Use a wrench if you need to or are more comfortable that way. I may not get mine quite as tight as they say by hand, but I have never had one leak or come loose. I have never had a problem getting one loose with my 16'' Channellocks. Don't insist everybody does what works for you.

quote:

Originally posted by mikemc:
Oh, I forgot. I also pour some clean oil into the new filter before I install it (you obviously can't do this if it mounts sideways). I feel like this helps reduce the time it takes to fill the new filter with oil, reducing the few seconds of dry start from a new, empty filter.

I can and do. I simply put a small amount of oil into the filter and leak it soak in. Then I repeat until it's saturated. Then I put just enough in that it won't spill when I turn it sideways.

Sure, it's not as good as filling up a vertical filter, but it's better than nothing.

Guess I have it made with my straight six F150. I change the filter from above, can grip it with two hands and, though it goes on horizontally, can fill it nearly to the brim as I can hold it vertical right to the mounting stud and quickly flip it up and screw it on. Very little drips. Suppose one could fill the filter and stick it in the freezer over night so the oil's good and thick, then mount it, but you really shouldn't snug it down until it comes up to ambient temperatures, so bad idea--maybe?

Unfortunately, wife's Aerostar is next for an oil change and I have to squeeze under to do that filter.
frown.gif

[ March 01, 2004, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: TallPaul ]

quote:

Originally posted by eljefino:
How on earth do any of you guys keep clean enough hands for monkeying with the filter?

I find that pushing the oil plug against that pan while unscrewing it (applying back pressure) keeps oil from coming out of the pan even when the screw is no longer threaded to the pan. Once the plug is unscrewed, I pull my hand (and the plug) out of the way as fast as possible, getting out of the way of the oil. I learned the hard way not to look directly up at the plug while removing it...
smile.gif

I usually let the oil drain while I vacuum out the inside of the car. I figure letting a car on ramps drain for 10 minutes is more effective than what they do at the quick lube stores.

Whether you are newbie or experienced, there is always a first time for everything as they say.

Hear my story that just happened the day after yours.

Just changed mine on Friday. I've been pretty much a DIYer.

However, once a year or so, I go to a quick lube so they can put in grease in joints (just my idea anyway) and anything I might miss.

Well, last change was at Walmart right before AutoRX cleaning. The guy at Walmart probably used an impact to tightened that filter. I couldn't get it off, even with Glove and both hands. Oil was already drained at that point.

Then I did the stupid thing which I've heard of from people. To punch a screw driver inside & across the filter. Then use it as a wrench-bar to turn that filter. Sounds good.

Well, I've got it in from one side. But couldn't get it out from the other side because of all the front fender and mudguards and such. I don't have a lot of room to swing that hammer.

So, screw driver didn't help. And my situation went to worst.
pat.gif

The oil from the filter puncture was dripping down my hands and up my sleeve. I looked like I just took an oil bath. It is getting darker and colder out. So, I couldn't even see that well. Normally, I can do clean oil change and without raising the car at all.

Well, not this time, the courtesy of Walmart.

I had to walk a total of 3 hours to get a wrench in 20F weather! Needless to say, I've sworn off Walmart 100% for as long as I live.

Even thought about pouring old oil back in, put a tape over my filter puncture, drive to Walmart and let them take care of it. But, the oil had 2K mile of Auto-Rx, so, it was slimey, dark and very dirty. And didn't want to waste the new oil either.
frown.gif

So, I walked. Been thinking about buying a bike and getting it loaded in my car at all times. It still would be better than walking. I can't believe a 15 minute drive would take 1.5 hours of walking! A bike can probably do 5-15 MPH (??) which should be good enough.
smile.gif

Needless to say, I'm still sore from all that walking.
frown.gif
Talking about memorible weekend! Keep reminding myself that exercise is good for my health
grin.gif

I hear yea. I just about tore a tendon in my mesed up right wrist (recently broke it) trying to get the filter off my Dad's Blazer. I just do not get it. I put the filters on hand tight about as hard as I can, and they always come off with relative ease. The place my Dad goes too HAS to be using the wrench to put the filter back on, or they recently hired the "Governator" to install oil filters by hand
lol.gif

Thanks for all the replies and ideas, will have to try them next time
grin.gif
I really didn't get oil all over me while taking the drain plug out. But I did make a mess all over the garage floor pouring the oil back in the bottles to take it to a collection place. I may buy one of those metal drip pans or get some cardboard for the next.

And yes I do need to get a grease gun and grease the zerks. I found the two up front, red grease was around them so I assumed they were zerks. Not sure where the others are
dunno.gif
Are all the grease guns the same or are they model specific to fit each manufacturer? What is a good grease for those? I heard some of the synthetic ones will turn liquid in hot weather and don't want that.

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2
Nothing wrong with your Purolator filter, and no, they're not more restrictive than most. Feel good about using a Purolator Premium or Purolator One filter in the future.

Is this what you use? I have just read on here of some saying they are restrictive. I don't know, didn't want to get a Fram from what I have read on here. And didn't want to spend a lot for a K&N or Mobil. So I got middle of road. I may get a ACDelco after the next purolator and compare. BTW...How can you tell if it is too restrictive? Will it show somehow on the oil pressure gauge?

[ March 01, 2004, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: Stabbin97Tahoe ]

The oil filter wrench is only to get the old oil filter off. Never use it to put the new filter on. Several reasons why. Above posts show it makes it very difficult to get it off the next time. It may warp the new oil filter and cause leaks. Use the manuf. recommended procedure, like the 3/4 to 1 turn.
I liked all the tips above to get the old contaminated oil out. Another tip in that regard with GM vehicles is to press the small metallic button in the base of the oil filter mount. When you have removed the old filter, you will see the mounting threads in the center. On the sides off the center threads, you will see 2 holes. One is open and the other has the metallic button in it. When you press it, about one tablespoon will drain out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back