Changed my oil by myself the first time

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I don't agree with running on an empty sump, I doubt any damage was done.
When I was a kid my grandpa had a friend who every year changed his oil in his boat by removing the copper line from the back of the mechanical gauge, placed it into a bucket and started it up.
He ran the engine until the oil stopped.

And we worry about adding oil when the dipstick reaches the "add" mark.

Local BMW dealer had a car stolen from within their shop. Car was being serviced and had no oil in it. The thief drove it for 4 miles, and It was found abandoned the next day at the side of the road with a seized engine

Gotta be a joke. Starting the engine with no oil to reposition ie back off the ramps and put a good load on it to pull back up on them?

Vehicle is fine!

Oil was still leaking out of the sump when I put it back on the ramp the second time.

It had oil in it, relax...

Well, okay, I'd just be sure not to do it again! What filter did you use, out of curiosity? I'm guessing a PureONE, judging from your signature?

Originally Posted By: Towncivilian
Well, okay, I'd just be sure not to do it again! What filter did you use, out of curiosity? I'm guessing a PureONE, judging from your signature?

Yeah, pureone...only have had it on there for 3k so I reused it.

Originally Posted By: hpichris
haha.....We all make mistakes. Don't ever do what you just did again though...

I am learning this now. I actually contemplated putting a little oil in the oil fill hole before I started it, just instinct I guess, but when I had finished parking on the ramp I had to put a cardboard box underneath the car again because it was leaking more oil, we had to use more kitty litter, it was a mess again the second time.

I just took my car for a drive, listened carefully with the hood open parked and while I drove, it purred like a kitten and my wife says she thinks it sounds fine.

Got blessed I guess, won't be doing this again, thanks to like 20 posts that tell me how idiotic it was of me to do it...

Just because it was still coming out of the hole doesn't mean any of it was getting to the top end nor was it getting on the cylinder walls. Your telling me you just learned to change your own oil now your saying everything is fine. Give it 20000 miles. We will see just how fine it is. No oil on the bearings. Metal on metal. Even for a minute with no oil pressure you are taking life off the engine. Then I am sure you revved it to get it up on the ramps. Wow. But I am sure everything is fine right. Cause you would know. Seeing as you just learned to take a bolt out to drain fluids.

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
Originally Posted By: Towncivilian

Yeah, pureone...only have had it on there for 3k so I reused it.
Alright. This has to be a joke. This guy is going on the ignore list. Nothing informative to add. Good luck. I hope you can remember to breathe.

there's a lot of pros on here.

at least they'd like to think so. This is precisely why a person cannot be honest on a message board. People belittle and hurt and scream things at people they never would in real life.

Way to go for ruining my night. I would like this thread closed in honor of the jackasses who are trying to make this a world-record breaking deal.

thanks.

Originally Posted By: JOD
Originally Posted By: renegade_987

+1, seems like motor would not hold on after 10 seconds or so

Not even close:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waj2KrKYTZo

Keep in mind, that car was filled with a water/silicate solution to speed up the process!

I don't understand why they did this! They could have removed the power plant and sold it on the used engine market.

Originally Posted By: jmsjags
i don't understand, why did you need to re-position the car if it was already on the ramps?

Maybe he didn't want to lay on the kitty litter/used motor oil.

I once hit a bolt sticking out of a railroad tie at a RR crossing. I heard and felt it hit, but drove home about 4 miles. The bolt had split the oil pan and left a gash of about 4 inches long and about 3/8th of an inch wide. I am sure that I lost most of my oil almost immediately. I welded the pan the next morning (acetylene welded with coat hanger wire) and refilled the car ('75 VW Rabbit) with Castrol 20W50. The car was fine when I stopped driving it about 180,000 miles later (269,000 miles at the time). My experience suggests a short run immediately after draining the oil will do no harm.

I also use to turn the engine over to get the last of the oil out, but I stopped doing that by the time I was 16.

For zerosoma, you either have to be sufficiently confident to accept any response or you must learn that there some things that you just don't share in public -- and forums are public.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Just be more careful on the next oil change. Just remember what went wrong this time and try not making those same mistakes again.

I agree.

We've all made mistakes at some point. You said you were new to the inner working of the car, so you probably didn't know the consequenses of running a car without oil. I've heard of people running an engine without the oil filter on to avoid having to remove the drain plug. Your engine is probably ok as long as you don't hear any rod knock or other unusual noises.
As for reusing oil filters, I'd at least remove and drain the used oil filter before filling up the engine with new oil.

Originally Posted By: semaj281
As for reusing oil filters, I'd at least remove and drain the used oil filter before filling up the engine with new oil.

IMO i would rather leave that little bit of used oil in there than risk messing up the gasket by taking it off and putting it back on.

and everyone giving him a hard time about reusing the filter..i would have done the same thing. that filter can easily go 10k, let alone 2 OCIs of 3k. just make sure you have the right tools to take it off for your next OCI so you aren't stranded in the parking lot with a leaking old oil filter or something.

I don't understand why they did this! They could have removed the power plant and sold it on the used engine market.

It was part of the 'Cash for Clunkers' deal. They had to 'disable the engine' to get credit. As a hardcore Volvo guy, I get a little queasy every time I see that clip. They redlined that thing for 4 minutes with water in the sump.

To the OP: ignore the haters, you didn't kill your engine. But yeah, I'd recommend not doing that again.

We've all made mistakes at some point.

Heck, I've done a pile of oil changes over the years, and can probably count on one hand the number of times that I have not made a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back