Changed from Dex III to Dex VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last week I did a 5 qt. cooler line pump out, pan drop and filter change on a LS1/4l60e with great results. After a week of letting the pcm adjust to the new fluid, the car shifts better than it has in years. Even better than new Dex III changes were.

Shifts are firm when pushed as they should be on this F-body, but smoother and more consistant than before. Easy going driving is very smooth. We will see how higher temps of summer will compare. I would expext the fluid should be better in all ways if the specs. don't lie.

I just wanted to let people know who are nervous about using the new stuff. Castrol Dexron VI was used from AA for $4/qt. minus -$20 off $50 online discount. (approx. $2.50 per quart)

I too have been very happy with the Dex VI in my 4L60E in my wagon. It gets driven gently most of the year but it gets a few thousand miles a year of hard towing in the summer.

I had the same results in both my chevy blazer and suburban but after about two years i noticed the fluid getting very brown and burnt looking. They both shifted better initially and after a while i noticed my blazer feeling like it was slipping a little. I used DEX6 valvoline. Just pay close attention to your fluid for a while. Many have been successful doing this and there are some in my boat that have not has such good luck. From everything i read, it should be comparable but many have had trouble.

Originally Posted By: EricF
what brand of Dex 6 did you use?

I used GM brand initially since I could get it cheaper but have since switched to Valvoline brand.

In my GP I flushed it at 90k miles with GM Dex VI (12+ qts) and did a pan drop with Valvoline Dex VI at 120k & 150k (8qts each time). It always looked nice and red.

In my wagon I did a flush at 120k with GM Dex VI (12+ qts) and added a remote filter and a larger cooler at about the same time. Since then I've changed the remote filter and drained and refilled the pan with Valvoline Dex VI (almost 4 qts) at 130k & 140k miles. I'm at 149k miles now. It has always looked nice and red as well. The cooler I installed is the largest fan assisted cooler B&M makes. I installed that prior to hauling my travel trailer through the Adironack mountains a couple of years ago. At the slightest incline in 3rd the torque converter unlocks but the fluid still typically stays below 180 in the pan even at extended up hill runs at nearly full throttle with the convertor unlocked. Only at slower stop & go driving does it heat up more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back