Changed brake pads making HUGE difference!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed the break pads on the F150 last night. They were still the OEM ones and after 98K, they finally started scraping on one side. The other actually had some wear left, but I changed them anyways. Lately I had noticed a hard shaking when stopping, which I thought was the front rotors, but after changing the pads, it has 95% stopped. The pads I used were Carquest red which seem to work great. There was also alot of noise in the back when you went over bumps which seems to have gone away, could brake pads take that away? Thanks guys and have a good weekend!

Well, what noise there was in the rear, IDK but, there may have been some rattling in the rear from the OE pads. And now that you have replaced everything and buttoned up everything, you yourself may have cured some of the noises that you were hearing. Everything is now nice and snug!

I wouldn't be surprised if the front rotors in time, start to pulse again as the pads ware in although, this is hard to really say and I could be wrong.

It's nice that you have cured the noises and pulsing just by replacing the pads.

I just put some Bendix CT's on all 4 wheels on my wifes 07. I must say im very impressed with these pads. I did the entire job including flushing, turning rotors and new hub nuts for just shy of 150.00. Pads came from Summit Racing

Sometimes pulsing in the pedal is caused by an uneven coating of the pad material on the rotor. Easy to fix - use GARNET paper (no petroleum in it) and sand both surfaces of each rotor. Then take it out and perform the "bed" in procedure for new pads.

If you don't know the "bed" in procedure, ask and it shall be provided to you!

fyi - once bedded in properly, if you heat the rotors up with heavy stopping and then come to a stop and keep the brakes applied, you will probably make the rotors pulse again. There is a coating between the metal on the rotor and pad that's made up on the pad material. It's actually what does most of the stopping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back