Change to Castrol Syn-Blend stopped leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both of my vehicles have always leaked a little oil and had a wet place under them in the garage. Truck has always had QSGB 10w-40 and the Caddy has had either Mobil-1 or Maxlife 5w-30. Recently I swapped them both over to Castrol Syn-Blend I got at Autozone and I have been noticing that my garage floor is dry for the first time ever.. This make sense to anyone? Just surprised me a little. I may give the 'Magnatec' a shot when I run through this stash.

Originally Posted By: nwjones18
Both of my vehicles have always leaked a little oil and had a wet place under them in the garage. Truck has always had QSGB 10w-40 and the Caddy has had either Mobil-1 or Maxlife 5w-30. Recently I swapped them both over to Castrol Syn-Blend I got at Autozone and I have been noticing that my garage floor is dry for the first time ever.. This make sense to anyone? Just surprised me a little. I may give the 'Magnatec' a shot when I run through this stash.

Check the dipsticks.....Maybe, like they said about old aviation radials, if it ain't leaking, you better put some in....

Surprised Castrol stopped the leaks when Maxlife didn't. But good results are good results!

I had already run that stuff for multiple OCI's in the KIA and really liked it but was unable to score any of the close out deals, so running Magnatec now instead.

Castrol Synblend 10W-40 has a viscosity of 16.0 @100c. That is the thickest 40 weight on the market, including diesel oils. My brother switched over this this oil in his oil burner VW 2.0. He use to burn over 2 quarts in 5K. Now using Castrol HM or SB 10W-40, he is down to only 1/2 quart in 5K.

Originally Posted By: zach1900
Do you know where they were leaking from?

Truck was from the rear main and possibly the valve cover. On the car I'm really not sure when you are under it every thing just looks sort of damp and it didn't leak enough for me to mess with it.

Wondering if, sometimes as the miles go by, if some sludge/varnish can get into the seal areas and make a seal work all of a sudden.

Originally Posted By: Finklejag
Castrol Synblend 10W-40 has a viscosity of 16.0 @100c. That is the thickest 40 weight on the market, including diesel oils. My brother switched over this this oil in his oil burner VW 2.0. He use to burn over 2 quarts in 5K. Now using Castrol HM or SB 10W-40, he is down to only 1/2 quart in 5K.

Running first 4 quarts of this stuff in my Honda Civic this Spring and Summer. Normally a 5W20 motor and never a problem before or after using this oil. Appears the OLM is extending the standard OCI from conventional though they're not "supposed to" know difference in oil "quality". Have not noticed fuel mileage decline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back