Change the trans filter or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a 2003 Toyota Matrix about 2 years ago with 80k miles on it. Changed out all fluids, filters, power steering fluid, flushed coolant, etc... everything that needed to be done was done do it. OCI is 5k miles with whatever synthetic is on sale/cheapest (Supertech usually) and OEM oil filter. I plan on doing a trans drain and refill, clean pan and magnets every 20k miles with Castrol IMV. Cheap stuff and it only costs $18 for 3 qrts. Car runs perfectly.

Question is should I change the trans filter every 20k miles or let it go for 40k miles? Filters are only about $20, but still $20 is $20. Is a new filter worth it? How long are they good?

I don't think is needed that often. If it gets clogged at 20k miles, you have bigger problems... I would say 50-60k miles for the filter is a good target. I do my drain/refill at 30K miles usually.

I would perhaps do 1 spill and fill trans service, wait a few thousand miles, then do another service including genuine Toyota filter.
Then service the trans every 30K.

Originally Posted by SoNic67
I don't think is needed that often. If it gets clogged at 20k miles, you have bigger problems... I would say 50-60k miles for the filter is a good target. I do my drain/refill at 30K miles usually.

+1 - 20K is overkill.

Put in a Magnefine inline filter and pretty much forget about changing the transmission filter in the transmission.

In 155,000 miles, I changed my transmission Filter 3 times.
On my vehicle, I believe it's to catch any large particles / where the Magnet catches the small stuff.

I added more magnets inside the Pan.
Also added a Magnafine Inline Filter
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=magnefine+filter+3%2F8&hvadid=78477762803236&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&tag=mh0b-20&ref=pd_sl_82gux0u54r_e

I thought most transfilters are basically "Rock Catchers"

I would probably change it once and forget about it for another 100k miles.

OTOH if you are opening it all up to change the fluid (no drain plug?) might as well change it.

That trans should only has a screen, not a filter. If it gets clogged up you have a lot more problems than it.
For those Toyotas I do not drop the pan unless its leaking. Drain/Fill every 30-40k will keep them going a long time.

Given that most of the contaminants during a transmission's life are generated in the first 5K miles, I'd just do drain and fills after the initial change. If anything the rock catcher will likely get a little more efficient over time. While I get wanting to clean the magnets, I wouldn't bother.

Just did my Odyssey at 140K and I regret it. it was a total PITA to get to and in the end, the filter I pulled out was in impeccable condition. You live you learn I guess. BTW this did not require dropping any pan, just removing the trans cooler line, replacing the filter/washers/gaskets and O rings.

Did ask this question to my Lexus service manager and he said that Toyota doesn't have a "Filter" but only a screen which is there to trap bigger particles and that there is nothing in their manuals to recommend a change, but he'd do it if I really wanted it. He also agreed with me that 60K Km ATF change is what he would recommend for longevity.
My MB instead had a Filter that had to be changed about every 60K Km with every fluid change.
Now I don't know if a 2003 may have a filter, but going by what I was told it probably has only a screen.

Originally Posted by Jimzz
That trans should only has a screen, not a filter. If it gets clogged up you have a lot more problems than it.
For those Toyotas I do not drop the pan unless its leaking. Drain/Fill every 30-40k will keep them going a long time.

Amen! I've never changed the filter in either my 'LS400 (307K) or my '02 4 Runner. I do change the ATF every 30K

Originally Posted by JOD
Given that most of the contaminants during a transmission's life are generated in the first 5K miles, I'd just do drain and fills after the initial change. If anything the rock catcher will likely get a little more efficient over time. While I get wanting to clean the magnets, I wouldn't bother.

My 4WD's ... try to do the break in ATF/filter between 10k-20k
At that point I put in a drain plug and flip pan volume in the spring so it's ready for summer
Not more than 50k for filter and pulling pan

My FWD's get done on an oil change once a year

If you just drain and fill the ATF every 50k miles you'll get it over 300k miles. No reason to go crazy with aftermarket filters or 20k intervals. It would probably get to 300k miles if you never even touched it.

On my FX4 I changed the filter at around 100k. The trans had several 4 qt siphon and refills during that 100k run. I took the filter apart and it had a thin foam insert. I washed it in mineral oil and was surprised that it wasn't very dirty at all. So I agree with jayjr 1105, fluid swaps and done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back