Change oil now or wait?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, for car in sig. I currently have 5k miles on Castrol Edge Gold bottle 5w20 and Napa Gold filter. Debating if I should change it out or leave it. It gets driven every day twice about 2 miles to drop my kid off at daycare during the week, and during weekends it always will see a 15-20 minute highway run, so the oil likely gets nice and hot (worried about water getting in fuel from short trips. It's usually plugged into a blockheater on a timer (in winter). Saw a friend who works at a Toyota dealer who said just change it, so im leaning towards that mainly cuz the car is short tripped. I figure I would put maybe 3k miles on it max until march/april, when I could change it next. I have a proselect filter and many oil options as I have a bit of a stash..PP 0w20, PU 0w20, Castrol Magnatec 0w20. A different filter can be purchased but next OCI will likely be about 5k miles anyways. Thoughts and opinions? Change it or leave it? If change it, what oil and filter? Are there any superior oils that I should consider? Thanks in advance
smile.gif

I would change it. Short trips in cold weather are the worst on oil. The heater certainly helps, but I think 5k in Canadian cold weather is enough. What does your Canadian owner's manual have for severe service OCI?

I'd go 6 mos/7500 miles with that oil. Esp since it's rated for up to 15k miles. Anything less than that is a waste of perfectly good motor oil.

Look at this UOA after 9200 miles on Castrol Edge with only 5 ppm of Iron showing.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4591940/Castrol_Edge_5w-30,_9200_miles

Last edited:
You want to change it now and you’ve got an oil stash. Use some 0w20 and change it.

Change it lol it's time....
Any of those sound good to me but with all the short trips I think magnatec is a good go for now.
Fresh oil before the worst of winter comes in.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I'd go 6 mos/7500 miles with that oil. Esp since it's rated for up to 15k miles. Anything less than that is a waste of perfectly good motor oil.

Look at this UOA after 9200 miles on Castrol Edge with only 5 ppm of Iron showing.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4591940/Castrol_Edge_5w-30,_9200_miles

Oil has been in since Spring - March so 9 months til now. If i wait til March itd be a full year.

SatinSilver said:

I would wait! But you have some 0w20, Change to easy your mind!!!!

Last edited:
Most of the suggestions here argue on the side of cheap insurance.

I don't see a compelling reason to change it at this juncture. 5k miles so far on mostly summer driving. And seeing you are estimating 3k miles more until the snow melts, that's barely half of what the oil is rated for when all is said and done.

I would leave it. There is absolutely nothing to gain by changing it out now.

Thanks all! I changed the oil today! In went 4 qts magnatec 0w20, 1/4 quart of Castrol Edge Gold 5w20 and a proselect. Changed air filter, cleaned battery terminals, sprayed them with gumout battery sealer/protector, cleaned MAF and throttle body. Checked all other fluids and installed a cabin air filter. Should be set for winter
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: anndel
Change it now. Short trips is harsh on oils. Change both oil and filter at your manufacturer's OCI.

Good advice...we can now shut down this web site

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back