Change my oil or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going through a financial hardship and can not afford the oil and filter for my semi-annual OC. I usually purchase 6 quarts of PP 5W-30 and Napa Gold oil filter.

Here's my concern...

Current oil is PP with 3500 hard miles. Vehicle pulls trailer on a regular basis, off-road 4wd trails, dirt roads with city driving. Combine this is our hot Phoenix summers, this oil has seen it all.

Should I skip my OC and change it Next May 2016 or purchase something cheap this round?

Vehicle is a 2000 4Runner 3.4 (145K ODO) ALWAYS used synthetic oil (PP, PU, M1-EP

I understand that the 4 Runner is pretty easy on oil.....so with that in mind, I feel you can extend you OCI to at least 6000 to 7000K.....since your on a quality synthetic.

At that time, switch over to PYB or QSGB, and a mid-tier filter.... and do 5K OCI's.

After your financial situation improves, you can go back to a quality synthetic.

My guess is that if you have a hardship that precludes you from purchasing a $30 oil change, you should 100% not be going off roading, as that is a hobby that is not in any way cheap. Forget the oil, what if you drop a half shaft or even slit a sidewall..?

PP and other synthetic oils can easily do 10k miles with your driving condition. NAPA gold oil filter is also good for 10kk miles.

You're using a known good synthetic oil and a quality oil filter in an engine of moderate performance in a warm climate.
A 3.5K OCI? Probably complete overkill.
You should be fine until next May.
I wish you luck with your financial situation and hope that things take a turn for the better.
Meanwhile, you've got the vehicle covered and have more important things to be concerned about.

Yup, if you are running premium synthetic, go once a year OCI's with premium filter
smile.gif

If you can put fuel in that truck, you can afford the oil change.

What would cause more hardship, an oil change or an engine failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back