Change MB Transmission fluid or not?

MB E300 has 61K on it and is due for Transmission Service. Dealer quotes $1480, Local Euro mechanic quotes just under $1000. I am nearly 90 years old, may have another year or so of driving. I'm inclined to let it go, thinking when time comes to sell, it won't make much diff. Thoughts please.

Make sure the indy is able to set the fluid level correctly. The procedure for fluid level set on the 9g tronic is very involved.

But yes, it needs to be done.

No other options? No grandsons that could do it for you? Or a friend's son that has good auto skills, and you could give him a couple c notes, and pay for materials? FCP Euro lists a transmission service kit for your car for <$300.

I guess my thought is that by ignoring it, you are passing it on to someone else, who may find themselves with a tranny that should have been serviced earlier.

I'm nowhere near your age, but as I get older, I often think, if I am fortunate enough to avoid having to ever go to a care center, and assuming I have more than sufficient money to take care of my needs, then why not get what I would like to make me happy. If I don't spend it, my kids will. And, for my kids at least, I know that they would want me to spend whatever I want on myself.

So why not service it. Will it matter to you? Almost absolutely not. Could it matter to someone else? Maybe.

I just did some research on the 9G Tronic. From what I have read, it is a significant upgrade from the 7G Tronic. But it is not recommended to ignore fluid changes. A quote from one article: "The one mistake you don’t want to make is not changing the transmission fluid as regularly as the manufacturer recommends."

If there's a chance of giving it to someone in the family? Then its worthwhile maintaining. I really doubt anything catastrophic is going to to happen before you get to 75-80k miles, if you don't service it, but it could make you lose far more money on resale value in a couple years to a buyer that does their homework.

Sounds like you don't drive much so I wouldn't do due to the high cost you've been quoted. There are so many of those cars running around with 100k and never had the trans touched. Let the next person deal with it.

I hope your health holds up for a very long time!! With just 60K on the transmission, a fluid change is probably not critical, and I'd be considering the same thing, not worrying about it. However, the guy next door is well into his mid 90's and just flew a 1200HP old Reno Air racer, Texan T6.

How many miles do you think you'll put on it?

Cujet: No more than 10K a year. Carvana is offering $22,600 which is tempting as my 2000 Ranger with 76K is in good condition. My wife claims the Audi and drives it quite a bit.

Back