Change by months or by miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a Mazda 3 and they have a change schedule of 5000 miles or every 4 months. Now for me I probably won't get 5000 months every 4 months, but it seems rather dumb to change oil and any other scheduled maint. earlier. Over time I could having myself look at parts like the brakes or air filter way sooner than needed.

Originally Posted By: 65cuda
I bought a Mazda 3 and they have a change schedule of 5000 miles or every 4 months. Now for me I probably won't get 5000 months every 4 months, but it seems rather dumb to change oil and any other scheduled maint. earlier. Over time I could having myself look at parts like the brakes or air filter way sooner than needed.

I understand where you're coming from. While under a warranty even though sometimes wasteful it is best to follow the mfg's maint schedules. After that do as you see fit. A UOA is very helpful, but if it ever comes down to an oil related warranty claim, following the mfg recommendations is all that will matter. JMO

Every 4 months is quite restrictive, is that severe service schedule? Personally, I would go with the 5000 miles regardless of months, do that on several of my cars

Yes, if under warranty, follow the schedule and keep the reciepts. After a big sludge problem when I was running 6 month schedules, I switched to 3 month changes after the manual for the next car I bought called for it.

Of course when I found the sludge problem, I was running SG Quaker State. Perhaps I could tell myself engines and oils are different now. Prices are. I was paying less then a buck a quart and 2 bucks for an AC filter then.

I would just do it every four months for the warranty; but I thought you had six months under regular (non-severe) service...

Are you getting this from the manual for the service dept. at the sDealership?

Last edited:
I face the same situation with a RAV4 V-6 Toyota.I drive very little but the manual states OCI every 5K or six months. It will take me years to reach 5k SOOOOOO every six months it is. If there ever is a warranty claim on the power train I don't want to give 'Yota any reason to deny it.

Originally Posted By: 65cuda

Is it under warranty?

Both! 6 months is a good interval regardless of lesser miles. Do it in Fall and again in the spring.

I'm in the same boat. I change my '07 Mazda 6 every 4 months to maintain the warranty (Mazda considers use in Canada to be severe service). The problem is that we only drive 1100 km a month with that car, so the oil and filter get a complete change after only 4400 km/2750 miles! Makes me ill to think of the waste.

Hummmmmm! Buy the oil and filter and save the receipts. Change one time and stash the stuff the next, an 8 month interval. Who is to know?

It is a new car so yes it is under factory warranty. The schedule was highlighted by the salesman when going through final papers after I bought it. Now I have a large supply of 5W20 PP so what I have done on my 05 grand caravan is save the label off the bottles and the filter each time I change and put them in a envelope with the date and milage and what was checked or done on it. However the Dodge only has a 3000 mile change schedul so I can make that usually in time. 5000 miles is better and more in line with what it should be, but the 4 month deal is what will kill me.

Originally Posted By: labman
Hummmmmm! Buy the oil and filter and save the receipts. Change one time and stash the stuff the next, an 8 month interval. Who is to know?

+1 I've done that, what is even better is 2 of my cars take the same grade oil and filter, it makes my life a lot easier.

Originally Posted By: rewote500
Do you mean SG Caker State?

That is what my older brother told me. He had a bad experience with what ever they were selling in the 50's

If it's under warranty, then IMO find the cheapest way to stick to the schedule. Any oil with the right API certifications should hold up to such short OCIs. After the warranty is up, then switch to something good and run it longer.

I was under the impression, that if yuor doing less than 3,000 miles in 3 months,, nasty stuff builds up in the oil, so unless you do a good 30 minute open throttle run up a highway, yuo should change it..or no?

Originally Posted By: ziggy
I was under the impression, that if yuor doing less than 3,000 miles in 3 months,, nasty stuff builds up in the oil, so unless you do a good 30 minute open throttle run up a highway, yuo should change it..or no?

I did 5.7k miles in 12 months (about 500 miles per month on average) with a lot of short trips, and the UOA results were still very good, so I wouldn't worry about that too much.

However, the OP needs to stick to what the owner's manual says for warranty purposes.

Well, as for me, i will do about 700 miles in 3 months...its 8 miles to work,a nd 8 miles back 5 days a week..2 days a week, my car sits outside on curb. Here in new england, summers are brutal humid, and winter can see as low as 5 degrees at night. Its only spring and autumn, the weather is stable. As for traffic, it just sucks here..our lcoal I 95 highway is always at a crawl, its literally driving 8 miles to work, as if it was los angeles, move, creep, brake, ect ect
Could or would this constitute for a 3 month change? I remember garry allen? I think it was once saying, he had a terrible oil analysis, and taht convinced him to stay at 3 months.. Im not sure if it was garry allen.but it was someone here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back