champion generator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need to pick up a generator for the house or my wife is going to pack my bags and ship me out. Looking at a champion 3500 run 4000 max on overstock for $327.00 out the door.This seems to be one of the better cheap ones around for the price.Dont need anything fancy or powerful.Whats your thoughts,or any other choice out there?

They get good reviews on rv.net. I run a slightly smaller 5.5 hp "chonda" with Automatic Voltage Regulation and highly approve.

Most all these new generators have extremely effective and huge mufflers, a humungous luxury.

Have had good luck with this same unit over the years. Only issue was with water separation in the fuel from ethanol due to not adding Fuel Stabilizer (5 years ago).

They do get good reviews on RV.net as the RV'ers seem to love them. Parts can be ordered direct from Champion.

Me? We've got the 5500W from Harbor Freight. It runs well and starts pretty quickly. I run it with 1/2-3/4 load for an hour each month. Regularly running them is key to keeping them in top shape.

I've had mine for like 7 years now. The plastic choke lever broke. I haven't replaced it because I can still operate the choke. I just reach down onto the carburetor and flip the lever instead of being able to do it from over the air cleaner.

I couldn't match the Nanjing Huade spark plug to anything but Bosch. (Nanjing Huade is Chinese Bosch) I threw the Nanjing Huade in the garbage and put a Bosch Super in it.

Adjust the valves every hundred hours or so....okay....probably more like 150 hours.
33.gif
I've actually only adjusted them once. Last time I checked, they were still properly adjusted.

I ran it on G-Oil for a change or two but switched to Rotella T or Delo...whichever is cheaper and availiable

The dipstick is definitely underengineered. It's made out of candle wax. Okay, not really candle wax but you get the point. Just be careful threading it back in.

It has over 400 hrs on it now. Before they cleared the trees from the powerlines in my neighborhood, we would lose electricity everytime it would rain. It would run our refrigerator, upright freezer, box fan, radio, lights, and my neighbor's refrigerator. Also used it to power the church band's amps and PA at an outdoor picnic and various Scout gatherings

I'm of the opinion that they are the best of the Chinese gensets.
I'm sure that there are better Generators, but not anywhere near the Champion price. The Champion was 1/3rd the price of the similar Briggs and Stratton powered generator when I bought it.

You might have your occasional bolt that comes loose and needs some blue loctite, or find a brittle piece of plastic or rubber. Other than that, they burn fuel and generate somewhat steady power just like any other in this class of portable gen.

For my usage, I would never pay more than ~$327 for a 3500/4000 unit.

We have a couple of them for framing basements when only 2 saws,and a radio are required.
We've had ours for a few years now without incident or failure,so they aren't bad. Once the breakers snap a few times they get weak,so I've hard wired them and eliminated the breaker altogether.
Great on gas too. For the price they are tough to beat.

Originally Posted By: nickaluch
Need to pick up a generator for the house or my wife is going to pack my bags and ship me out. Looking at a champion 3500 run 4000 max on overstock for $327.00 out the door.This seems to be one of the better cheap ones around for the price.Dont need anything fancy or powerful.Whats your thoughts,or any other choice out there?

Did you go through the must have's in your house to see what size you need.

If you have a well pump you need a larger one.

I have the same unit and it has been great.
The best generators for the money in my opinion.
Parts can be ordered direct from Champion, they stock them at their warehouse in California. Only part I ever needed was an air cleaner lid that got broken, the part and shipping was reasonable price wise.

My Champion works well.Replace OE sparkplug with an autolite or ngk plug. Fuel hose rot away quickly-get good hose at local auto parts .

Originally Posted By: eljefino
They get good reviews on rv.net. I run a slightly smaller 5.5 hp "chonda" with Automatic Voltage Regulation and highly approve.

Most all these new generators have extremely effective and huge mufflers, a humungous luxury.

The Champions have huge mufflers. Mine runs the length of the generator. I think it is actually bigger than the OEM muffler my old Suzuki Swift car had. There's more noise coming from the intake than the exhaust.

But if you look at the generators at Harbor Freight or Pep-Boys, the muffler is usually quite a bit smaller. The generator itself shares a lot of components, but the mufflers are different. Some of the welds don't look quite as good either. The Champion appears to actually have some quality control at the factory.

Originally Posted By: MrMeeks
My Champion works well.Replace OE sparkplug with an autolite or ngk plug. Fuel hose rot away quickly-get good hose at local auto parts .

There's that Nanjing Huade plug!
lol.gif

I don't think they are that finicky on plugs. Like I said, I'm using a Bosch Super. (made in Hungary IIRC) I can't imagine it running better on a different plug so I keep using Bosch.
Fuel Hose hasn't been an issue on mine but I stabilize with MMO or SeaFoam
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Donald

If you have a well pump you need a larger one.

My jet pump (shallow well) runs great on my 2500/3250 watt 120V unit. Every pump is different.

Though I agree you don't want to burn that out, $$$.

We are on the generator tonight after nearly being hit by a tornado. Coleman Powermater 5KW with the Subaru engine.

Originally Posted By: tig1
We are on the generator tonight after nearly being hit by a tornado. Coleman Powermater 5KW with the Subaru engine.

Update on generator run. Kept it on until 11 this morning. Worked well as I back feed through my welder outlet.

The problem with the Champions (and all of the other clones manufactured by the same Chinese company) is that they greatly overstate their output capability. If you actually NEED to get an HONEST 3500 watts of continuous power out of a generator (maintaining a minimum of 58hz at a minimum of 109v), it has been my experience that when you buy a Chinese generator you will need to purchase something that has a stated continuous power output of at least 4500 watts.
Also, if the generator (ANY generator) has a 230v plug, you should be aware that the stated output watts are at 230v, not 115v, so the generator actually supplies only half the stated output into 115v, times two (it has two independent 115v windings at half the rated output wired in series to get the 230v at the full rated output). In other words, if you are trying to run a single 115v appliance that actually draws 3000 watts, you will need to buy a generator that is rated at a minimum of 6000 watts if the generator has a 230v plug on it. So, you can actually power TWO 3000 watt 115v appliances off of a 6000 watt generator, but NOT one 6000 watt 115v appliance (or not even one 3500 watt 115v appliance).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wag123
The problem with the Champions (and all of the other clones manufactured by the same Chinese company) is that they greatly overstate their output capability. If you actually NEED to get an HONEST 3500 watts of continuous power out of a generator (maintaining a minimum of 58hz at a minimum of 109v), it has been my experience that when you buy a Chinese generator you will need to purchase something that has a stated continuous power output of at least 4500 watts.
Also, if the generator (ANY generator) has a 230v plug, you should be aware that the stated output watts are at 230v, not 115v, so the generator actually supplies only half the stated output into 115v, times two (it has two independent 115v windings at half the rated output wired in series to get the 230v at the full rated output). In other words, if you are trying to run a single 115v appliance that actually draws 3000 watts, you will need to buy a generator that is rated at a minimum of 6000 watts if the generator has a 230v plug on it. So, you can actually power TWO 3000 watt 115v appliances off of a 6000 watt generator, but NOT one 6000 watt 115v appliance (or not even one 3500 watt 115v appliance).

Thanks for this info. I always back feed through my 220 plug but this is good to know.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wag123
According to the manual on my 5KW WINCO I can pull HALF the rated power (2500 watts) from EACH winding @ 110, or the rated power at 220, and I have done so. Maybe there is a new interpertation of Ohms Law I am not aware of.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
According to the manual on my 5KW WINCO I can pull HALF the rated power (2500 watts) from EACH winding @ 110, or the rated power at 220, and I have done so.

That is EXACTLY what I said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back