Chainsaw chain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Baileys online is a good place to buy decent chain without the safety bumps at a decent price. Get a semi chisel cutter if you cut dirty wood or get in the dirt. It doesn't solve the dirt issues but it more tolerant of it of people having whoopsies.

Learning how to sharpen will make cutting wood much more enjoyable. Brand new chain isn't always sharpened the best and the clearances between cutters and rakers are better after a few sharpening.

Stihl brand chain is the most durable. Metallurgy is better and they chrome the cutters. This makes for less stretching and a better edge.

I have a local Stihl dealer that does my chains, he's reasonable & can usually turn them around in a day. On the Echo & the 2 little electrics, the Oregon chains are so cheap that they're almost disposable at $11-12 each (only 14 inchers), and I scored a pretty big 28 inch Stihl bar & 5 half skip Stihl chains for the big old Stihl 045, so I can send a couple in to be sharpened & use the others.

Originally Posted by Astro14
I sharpen lots of things - Axes, plane blades, knives, chisels.

Never learned to sharpen saw chains. I've got 4 or 5 spare Oregon chains, when they get dull, I drop them off to be professionally sharpened.

I liken it to suits, and other dress clothes. I'll never learn to dry clean them myself, I farm that work out, and have more than one suit, so that I'm never without.

If you don't cut a lot , thats the best way. But its not hard. I touch up my chain every tank of gas, just a few strokes. If the chain gets really dull, then you need to take it in .

I have been tempeted to get a chain grinder, but a decent one is expensive, the sub $100 ones are junk.

Last edited:
I rotate 3 chains. When 2 are dull I have my Stihl dealer sharpen them. I can R&R chains faster than I can sharpen them.

I am thinking about this. For $150 i can break even in 20 sharpenings or so.
https://www.amazon.com/Oregon-410-120-Bench-Mounted-Grinder/dp/B00Y0S88Y8/ref=sr_1_1_

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

Last edited:
I do not like Oregon chain, it just doesnt seem to stay sharp very long.
Stihl chain is about the best, but expensive.
I have used Carlton and Archer brand chain purchased from ebay, and they both worked very well and were not very expensive.
I usually keep a few chains around so I always have a sharp one to install if needed.
Definitely get a hand file kit, it is not hard to do, and will save you a lot of money!

Go to Bailey's online and get their Woodland Pro chains. Best chain I've ever used and cheap too. As said, learn to sharpen, it's not hard, and a quick touchup will make, and keep, your chain razor sharp. I suggest semi chisel teeth for almost everything. I know a chisel is faster, but not a great deal and for the average joe, just cutting stuff around the house, farm, whatever it's the best. If you cut a lot of firewood, then a chisel can help save some time, but that's it. Semi chisels will hold their edge longer and if, (i guess, 'when') you dig your chain into the dirt, it wont dull like a full chisel. Buy a chain sharpening guide or combo file/guide such as the Pferd, you really can't go wrong, even if you've never sharpened a chain.

The Woodland pro chains are Carlton. Carlton in my opinion are better that the box store oregon chains. But there is a difference in the oregon box store chains, and the oregon professional non anti kickback chains with the blued cutters. usually in the LPX, LGX lines. These lines with the Blued cutters are much tougher than the boxed consumer chains. I did not know that for a while.

Last edited:
The Oregon chains will work fine...
taking care of them is just as easy..

as soon as I see the cutting efficiency drop...
then i sit at the pic-nik table on a cool breezy evening with my favorite refreshment.. and this

https://www.timberlinesharpener.com/

yah its expensive.. but no other sharpening jig compares to this one..IMO... FWIW,, i usually get 3 rounds + before i toss a chain...

it works for me
my 2c
J.

Thanks all, I'll just buy a couple of chains and circulate through the local shop.

I think I cut a cord of wood last summer, which is about 0.75 cord more than I plan to this year. I do have a file, and some sort of cheapo jig, and... I'll just try again, but after starting with a known good chain.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by nixon
Try www.loggerchain.com they carry Oregon chain . Reasonable prices ,free shipping . As has been previously mentioned , woodland pro ( carlton ) from bailey's is a great source of chain as well .

Their prices aren't too bad if you are buying multiple items. They carry the extra hard chain(DuraCut) for dirty wood too. Probably a good chain for people that don't want to fool with sharpening.

FWIW the small engine place I use sharpens my chain for 5 bucks and I can't do a better job myself. In my area an Oregon chain was more expensive than genuine Stihl, so it was a no-brainer for me.

Originally Posted by Silverado12
FWIW the small engine place I use sharpens my chain for 5 bucks and I can't do a better job myself. In my area an Oregon chain was more expensive than genuine Stihl, so it was a no-brainer for me.

Thats a good price for sharpening, can't beat that. I've used stihl and husky chains and they are tough, not everyone carries them around me. I use the full chisel oregon powercut line on my husky 390. On this saw, I file the rakers down right out of the box.

I have some woodland( carlton for the smaller echo 45cc saw.

IMG_20200210_175458178.jpg

IMG_20200210_180335402.jpg

Last edited:
1. Sharpen the chain yourself with an electric chain saw sharpener - 63803
2. Have 2 chains
3. The chains should have a semi-cheisel cutter - will stay sharp longer
4. I avoid safety chain.
5. buy a $10 tool to file down the rakers

You can easily learn how to do this and you will have shape chain at all times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back