Chain Hoist for 600 lb Safe?

I’m trying to put a 3x3’, 42” high safe in a trailer. It’s a Hall Safe, made in Cincinnati, late 1800’s. It’s very heavy for its size, dimensions & weight are approximate. There is a beam on the ceiling I could attach a hoist to, safe in an industrial garage.

I may have limited help, tractor is not available. I’m looking at a Larin 3-ton chain hoist, about $120. I see the Ingersoll Rand 3 ton lever hoist reviews better, $480. This will be mostly a one time use, though I can find other duties for the hoist. The Larin is close, Fleetfarm, don’t want to mail order the Ingersoll Rand anyway, trip is in 3 days.

The safe is accessible, I think to heavy for my dolly, also heavy for my trailer ramp. That’s why the idea
BB7AC1FF-0888-4534-9C7B-5E9890107226.jpeg
of picking it up. Just looking for thoughts on the Larin(China) chain hoist or other ideas, may only be two of us. I’ll try a picture. The plan is to reclaim the safe, clean it up.

I would not suggest suspending 600 lbs from a beam. Seems way to heavy for such a dense/compact object. I think safest bet is buy a stronger dolly and maybe a really thick plank of wood to get it onto your trailer.

furniture dolly with a couple ratchet straps?
a 12'x2" cut in 2 for ramp? (not sure how much ramp you need)

The stronger dolly idea could be doable. Yes, the ceiling beam is of unknown strength.

Part of my new idea is one more helper, strong boards to slide it up the ramp, spreading out the weight. I have a 2000lb come-along I could attach also.

Last edited:
Get under it with a pallet jack, pull it out, and then use 2x6s to build cribbing to lift it to truck height.

My CL has used pallet jacks for under $200, and you can resell yours when you're done if you don't have other uses for it.

I’ll look up ‘pallet jack’. Right now plan on 2x12” planks to spread out weight on trailer ramp.

I’ll bet you could rent what you need. Whether it’s a pallet jack, which would be a pain on the ramp, or a safe dolly, either 1 part or 2 part. The 2 part is a pair of dollies which go to each side then ratchet strap together, with a handle to crank to raise it.

Just an update. The safe was loaded & is now home. We started with rounds of wood, rolling it towards the trailer. I then put two 2x12” planks on tailgate, to spread out the weight.

Once tipped we used a chain crank thing to pull it onto the trailer bed, had a strap hooked to truck hitch. The next issue is to clean it up then look to get it opened. Don’t expect valuables inside.

It’s a ‘Diebold Safe’ dated 1877 on the safe.

Three years ago, I bought the house I live in now. There was a safe just like that in the one car garage. At the closing, I said that safe needs to be out of there. The seller's lawyer got on the phone and made arrangements for someone to come get it. After the closing, I went to the house and there was a truck with a tilt bed trailer and four guys waiting for me to open the garage. I opened it up and they wheeled the safe to the edge. I said you guys are gonna need more guys. I'm not sure what this safe actually weighed but it felt like more than 1000 pounds.
The boss of this group got on the phone and shortly, another truck pulled up with like seven more guys in it. They tilted the trailer toward the safe and after a couple of attempts, got this thing onto the trailer and gone. I made sure I got their number because these guys knew how to get stuff done.

Keep us updated on what you find inside. 4 big movers had a furniture dolly with oversized pneumatic tires to get my Liberty safe out of my walkout basement and up the side yard hill to the street. If I wouldn’t have been there to help it wouldn’t have made it or they would’ve dumped it over. I think it weighs close to 900 lbs.

Back