Chain, Belt, Shaft Drive Pros & Cons

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, but it does sure feel weird to get pushed up. I guess like most riders I am used to how a bike will sort of tuck down when you romp on it.

And as far as the side movement, I guess if you have something like a Guzzi, that is a moot point since the engine rotational torque does that anyways.

My son owned a Yamaha V Max years ago. When I was following him I could always tell when he was giving it full power because the rear of the bike would raise up under heavy throttle.... not only weird but it felt awkward and looked really dangerous.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
My son owned a Yamaha V Max years ago. When I was following him I could always tell when he was giving it full power because the rear of the bike would raise up under heavy throttle.... not only weird but it felt awkward and looked really dangerous.

It isn't...I've been riding shaft drive bikes for decades (I had a Vmax too) and never once has shaft jacking been a problem...in fact, it looks cool when you roll the throttle on and off several times quickly...looks like the bike is doing push-ups!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
People who work on bikes for a living tend to see the ones that break more than us riders...just saying.

Kind of like in my everyday travels I rarely see crimes being committed, but if I was a law enforcement officer I would see it all the time.

I am sure there are shaft bikes that do indeed fail, but I bet that more often than not the owner is at fault for neglect and abuse. And when that combo takes its toll, the result is a lot of labor and expensive parts.

Quite right.

Originally Posted By: grampi

It isn't...I've been riding shaft drive bikes for decades (I had a Vmax too) and never once has shaft jacking been a problem...in fact, it looks cool when you roll the throttle on and off several times quickly...looks like the bike is doing push-ups!

It sounds as though your having a love affair with shaft drives.
It's all about horses for courses really.

I personally have no love affair for any system.
I just know what system I prefer to live with on a day to day basis on the type of bikes that I ride.
Warts and all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ducman

I just know what system I prefer to live with on a day to day basis on the type of bikes that I ride.
Warts and all.

I do like shaft drive, but you'll never catch me kissing one...Lol! I actually would have no problem with a belt driven bike either, I just would never go back to chain drive...

Last edited:
Only part I like on chain drives is being able to alter the gearing so easily and without great expense. Belts can change the gearing easily but the pulleys are far from inexpensive or easy to find.

I don't mind chains. I spray it every once in a while and have 32K on my stock chain. It hasn't stretched any since break in, has plenty of adjustment left, and the sprockets don't show very much wear. Changing chains and sprockets is easy enough and doing so every 30-40K miles isn't a hardship.

Only part I like on chain drives is being able to alter the gearing so easily and without great expense. Belts can change the gearing easily but the pulleys are far from inexpensive or easy to find.

Chains are noisy and messy...that's why I don't like them...

I don't find mine to be noisy at all. But if you have any sort of healthy exhaust system on the bike, the chain should not be audible.

messy.....yeah they can be that is for sure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ducman

Warts and all.

I do like shaft drive, but you'll never catch me kissing one...Lol! I actually would have no problem with a belt driven bike either, I just would never go back to chain drive...

Fair enough.

Just remember, that when you do decide to take that next step of having your first kiss, you don't stick your tongue in.

Gear oil smells bad enough.
The taste will be worse.

Chains are noisy and messy...that's why I don't like them...

Your chains were noisy because they were too dry.
Is that because you didn't like the messiness?

IMO, a properly lubed chain with the right products is an easy thing to manage every 500-1000kms.
It also gives one a good opportunity to take the time to inspect the rear brake pads, check fastener tension and give the bike a major clean up if required.
Then again my bikes are all spotless anyway.
If one works clean and methodically, cleaning/lubing the chain properly is easy and rewarding. It only takes 5 mins tops when done on a regular basis.
Even though I'm not a big fan of Motul products, I really like their ROAD CHAIN LUBE a lot, despite the fact that I can get all the BELRAY Superclean chain lube I like from work for nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back