CFB rankings - the joke continues...

The rankings were GA #1, MI #2,and OSU #3...OSU beats Penn St. (a mediocre beating, mind you), and they get moved up to #1. ............ Nobody can tell me that OSU isn't constantly over ranked, because they are...No way they should be ranked #1...............!

Last edited by a moderator:
I’d agree. UGA has won back to back national championships and won 24 or something games in a row. How they move down without a loss in that time is a mystery to me.

Hoping Mizzou beats them this weekend, however, I give that about a 8% chance.

Michigan would have already probably been dealt some punishment over their cheating scandal if they weren’t undefeated.

Complaining about ranking one week in is:
1698972126285.png

Its the results at the last game that will matter.. for most of the field.
ie after Michigan vs Ohio State in 4 weeks. Is the proper time to complain about the rankings.

SOS was the deciding factor. I read an article about couple days ago. Ga hasn’t played anyone yet but that’s about to change.

repeat after me... "OH HOW I HATE, OHIO STATE"
those polls have always been a joke.
I don't know why anyone cares enough about them to pay attention.
if you have a favorite team, ask yourself how they did this year and your own opinion should be good enough.

I’d agree. UGA has won back to back national championships and won 24 or something games in a row. How they move down without a loss in that time is a mystery to me.

Hoping Mizzou beats them this weekend, however, I give that about a 8% chance.

Michigan would have already probably been dealt some punishment over their cheating scandal if they weren’t undefeated.
What cheating scandal? That claim was made up by OSU supporters...

Grampi is in the difficult position of being an OSU hater in ohio. Usually thats reserved for Michigan fans.

My take on the rankings is it doesnt matter. They explain how they got there.
Like them or not OSU's strength of schedule is far harder than GA so far..

No way GA wont pass either michigan, osu or both after one loses in 4 weeks.

Or just ignore these rankings and look at AP Poll ranking.

I remember one of the former Oakland Raiders from days of old saying there was a sign in the Raiders clubhouse that stated

'CHEATING IS ENCOURAGED".

Grampi is in the difficult position of being an OSU hater in ohio. Usually thats reserved for Michigan fans.

My take on the rankings is it doesnt matter. They explain how they got there.
Like them or not OSU's strength of schedule is far harder than GA so far..

No way GA wont pass either michigan, osu or both after one loses in 4 weeks.

Or just ignore these rankings and look at AP Poll ranking.
Sign stealing occurs when the teams using the signs get careless with them. At that point, the signs become part of the public. OSU may have played a more difficult schedule, but they almost lost to Notre Dame (and should've lost, ND outplayed OSU), and their showing against Penn St. was mediocre at best. MI nor GA has even come close to losing a game yet...OSU should still be ranked 3rd...Oh, and I am a MI fan, I just live in OH...

The rankings were GA #1, MI #2,and OSU #3...OSU beats Penn St. (a mediocre beating, mind you), and they get moved up to #1. ............ Nobody can tell me that OSU isn't constantly over ranked, because they are...No way they should be ranked #1...............!
Better question is why is Notre Dame still in top #25 with two losses?! 🙊🙊🙊

I'm glad for Oklahoma State University. I hope they hold it.

Do these sports franchises have any academic merit attached to them?

Is there a ranking for the academic part, for which students pay a small fortune to attend?

Just wondering...

Is there a ranking for the academic part, for which students pay a small fortune to attend?

Just wondering...
Good question, IDK...

Just wondering...
no, the football poll is based on opinion of performance.
most of the good players are on some type of athletic scholarship..

no, the football poll is based on opinion of performance.
most of the good players are on some type of athletic scholarship..
My eternal frustration with most of college sports - the athletes get a “scholarship” but not an education.

They’re used and thrown away. No NFL future. No job. No education on which to fall back.

I’ve spoken about some college athletes, say, at Harvard, who get a solid degree, math, biology, business, and have an actual future outside of sports.

But my stepsons’s classmates at a big 10 school got “tutors” who helped them through English 101 and high school math.

With no academic skills, and no education, their future outside professional sports was limited.

And the school spent hundreds of millions on a new football stadium, but nothing on new science labs.

Which begs the question; is this an academic institution, or sports franchise?

The schools deceive the public, the alumni, and the athletes by failing to be honest in answering that question.

My eternal frustration with most of college sports - the athletes get a “scholarship” but not an education.

They’re used and thrown away. No NFL future. No job. No education on which to fall back.

I’ve spoken about some college athletes, say, at Harvard, who get a solid degree, math, biology, business, and have an actual future outside of sports.

But my stepsons’s classmates at a big 10 school got “tutors” who helped them through English 101 and high school math.

With no academic skills, and no education, their future outside professional sports was limited.

And the school spent hundreds of millions on a new football stadium, but nothing on new science labs.

The schools deceive the public, the alumni, and the athletes by failing to be honest in answering that question.

IMHO they are sports franchises when it comes to the 2 big time money sports, which are basketball and football.
it is also worth saying those 2 sports pay the fees for the rest of the school on many things including all the other sports..
realistically the football programs are minor league suppliers to the NFL but the basketball program is just money, there are very few potential jobs available in the NBA.
I think everyone involved knows it too.

I actually think they should outlaw the NCAA and treat college football and basketball like what it truly is, a business.

It's complicated.

As someone who earned a scholarship at a D1 football program I can tell you that these programs will always contain some students who had been pushed through the system since their days in elementary school. They barely got by and their athleticism is what kept them moving forward. Once they're at university there's not much the athletic dept can do. Some students simply don't have the foundation to take on more challenging course work The athletic depts instead channel these athletes towards majors* which they can graduate from.

During my years were always had a good mix of majors along with a few who simply wanted to play at the professional level. A lot of business majors (BS or MBA), some Biology (Medical School), Education(wanted to teach/coach), Criminal Justice, etc.

The bright side for these athletes is that they don't have student loans.

Ultimately it's up to the athlete to decide on their major and what they want to get out of the college experience.

*An argument can be made that some of these majors shouldn't exist at university.

Sports teams are a publicity boon for universities. Otherwise you'd seldom hear their name in the news unless something bad happened.

The star players are there to learn football. The ones who are smart but don't have NFL level athletic ability have a few opportunities to become coaches or other team support careers. That does leave the major group who it is hoped benefit somehow from being at college.

Back