Certified Pre-Owned Wrong Size Air Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I bought a "certified" pre-owned Acura RDX a couple years ago. A month or so ago, I started noticing a rattling noise when she would start it in the morning (FL, 70-85* this time of year). I started checking around and noticed the intake filter was the wrong size and it left about a 1 inch gap inside of the housing for unfiltered air to flow to the intake. I ran out and bought the correct size filter but the rattling noise keeps occurring the next day. I did the last oil change on it with 0w20 Pennzoil Synthetic and a Fram Ultra filter. The one before that was done at Acura per their free oil change when you buy a car.

I am pretty annoyed that a "certified" pre owned vehicle would have the wrong air filter in it. This confirms my belief that it is all marketing and they do not really inspect much on the "certified" vehicles they are selling.

The car drives great except for the noise when she first starts it in the morning. Oil level is right under max and the oil is not even that dirty for running with the wrong size filter. Her maintenance minder still says she has 40% until her oil change.
I did a little reading on the web and some people say their cars were doing this and a fresh oil change and filter fixed the noise issue. I figure I will see if this works. If it doesn't I am going to take it to Acura but I can't really prove they put the wrong filter in it or reproduce the sound when it starts because it only happens when the car sits for like 12 hours.

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Try to get it on video when it does it so you can show it to the dealer. Maybe with the hood up. The service manager might have heard of similar complaints in the past from other owners if it's a common problem caused by something specific.

I hate when stuff like this happens... "Certified Pre-Owned" yeah ok.

I haven't purchased a used vehicle in a while but something I do with all my vehicles is a through once over at the dealership before I sign for anything and again as soon as I get it home. That way if I find anything I go right back. I also only pick-up on a weekday and early in the day so I have time should something be wrong.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CT8
I'll never understand the certified thing.

The program serves the market for used luxury vehicles. CPO vehicles come with an OEM extended warranty and typically the vehicle itself is 3 yrs old or less. CPO sales are important for a majority of luxury makes because it allows them to sell the same car twice, first as a lease, and second as CPO.

You should consider identifying the Dealership that failed you. Help others from making the same mistake.

CPO is pretty much just "marketing and warranty" to allow them to sell cars that are "above average" in terms of condition for a premium price. Is there value? Sure. Is there more profit for them? Absolutely. They SHOULD, at least, be accompanied by a full inspection of the vehicle and any work required to make it as "close to prime condition" as possible. This includes filters..

Sounds like this dealership isn't doing the required inspection, or at least cheaping out on the details.

I'm just amazed you bought it "a couple of years ago" and hadn't yet checked the air filter. At least that's the way your story reads. If the dealer did it during the last free change, well, that should be pretty easy to pin on the tech that did it.

There was a member here who recently bought a brand new car, sans air filter!
mad.gif

I doubt most of the CPO vehicles undergo a really thorough inspection. I used to see ads for used vehicles that have undergone a 100 and something point inspection. Don't see much of that actually going on.

Our 2013 Lexus GS350 F Sport was purchased under CPO, I get 2 years bumper to bumper warranty and 4 services.
They did the 60K serivce, which runs $900. The car is perfect.
They detail the car every time it goes in.
Buying a 2013 car with tons of electronics made me want a solid warranty.

I love Acuras and Hondas. Put in the correct filter and go forward.
I would call the dealer and let them know.
Our local Acura dealer has been very supportive.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by shurguywutt
My wife and I bought a "certified" pre-owned Acura RDX a couple years ago. A month or so ago, I started noticing a rattling noise when she would start it in the morning (FL, 70-85* this time of year). I started checking around and noticed the intake filter was the wrong size and it left about a 1 inch gap inside of the housing for unfiltered air to flow to the intake. I ran out and bought the correct size filter but the rattling noise keeps occurring the next day. I did the last oil change on it with 0w20 Pennzoil Synthetic and a Fram Ultra filter. The one before that was done at Acura per their free oil change when you buy a car.

I am pretty annoyed that a "certified" pre owned vehicle would have the wrong air filter in it. This confirms my belief that it is all marketing and they do not really inspect much on the "certified" vehicles they are selling.

The car drives great except for the noise when she first starts it in the morning. Oil level is right under max and the oil is not even that dirty for running with the wrong size filter. Her maintenance minder still says she has 40% until her oil change.
I did a little reading on the web and some people say their cars were doing this and a fresh oil change and filter fixed the noise issue. I figure I will see if this works. If it doesn't I am going to take it to Acura but I can't really prove they put the wrong filter in it or reproduce the sound when it starts because it only happens when the car sits for like 12 hours.

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I had bunch of VW's CPO, never got wrong filter, or something like that. BMW CPO had everything new, brakes, etc.
CPO or not, to install wrong filter is pure incompetence or the could not care less about customer. That should not, and VERY rare happens at 10 minute oil change places.
It is dealer, not CPO program.

"Certified" = $1,100 added to sticker price. If the dealer does have all those hundred and something points checked, it isn't done by one of their mechanics.Probably the guy doing the oil changes.

900$ for 60K service? what exactly was done within the scope of this service?

Detail the car? not sure since when autucar wash is considered to be a detail...

As far as CPO goes - it as a complete joke. JMO

Originally Posted by Zee09
Originally Posted by CT8
I'll never understand the certified thing.

Make you think you're getting something gone over and a cream puff.
Just more dealer hooey.

Total cars sales BS in most cases.

I bought 2 CPO cars over the years and both of them had spare tires way under inflated. The checklist was complete and "check all tires pressure' was part of it. Most checklists just have one continuous line through the boxes.

I negotiated the $500 fee off one car with 10k miles on it because they did nothing to it but change the oil & rotate tires.

Originally Posted by parshisa

Detail the car? not sure since when autucar wash is considered to be a detail...

Oil Change (0W-20), brake flush, air filter, cabin filter and spark plugs (since it is a DI engine). $900 is the average price. They probably did a wash/vacuum, tire shine, windows in/out and wiped the dash - that's what a lot of folks consider to be a "detail."

GS350 60K.PNG

Originally Posted by parshisa

The 60K service in a GS350 Soprt is oil change, spark plugs, flush brake fluid, filters and more.
I will need to check work order.
I wanted the CPO because the 1st time there is an electronics issue with these cars it is big bucks.
I paid $22,300 for a 2013 loaded car that was perfect, including new brakes and Michelin rubber.
Tires alone for this car are big bucks. New battery. Brakes are also expensive, due to the 2 piece rotors.
When I 1st saw the car, the rims had curb rash; now they are perfect.
2 year bumper to bumper warranty.
I am very happy with this car and the deal. I looked for months for a great car and deal..

They hand wash the car, inside and out. Immaculate.
I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Just about any dealer service can be a rip-off... in some cases... or not. My take on it, if the CPO warranty is worthwhile, paying for the CPO can pay for itself. Or, it can be just extra cash in the dealer's pocket. It all depends on the deal, the car, if the warranty is substantial, and especially if the warranty is used at a later date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back