Ceramic window cleaner . will it replace glass coating like rain x etc?

i notice griots offers a ceramic glass cleaner as does armor all. will these new product replace dedicated coating like rain x etc?? anyone have experience with them yet?

I started using Mothers CMX Ceramic coating on my vehicles. If you get any over spray on the glass, plastic headlight / taillight lenses, or flat black trim, it doesn't effect it, and wipes right off. Just for kicks I did the windshield on my Toyota with it, and found that dried, crusty, bug juice comes off MUCH easier. Same with the bumper and headlight lenses.

So I'm guessing they didn't have to change the product very much to make it a, "glass cleaner". That said, I applied it to an already spotless windshield. Today the new buzzword in the automotive world is, "Ceramic". Anything with that printed on the label will sell. Reminds me of the whole "Polyglycoat" craze in the late 70's and early 80's.

My personal issue with anything other than products such as Rain-X or Aquapel, seems to causes a fogging effect when it rains and the wipers are ON...even with new wipers. So, I am very cautious about what I use on my windshield. I'd love to try TW Ice S&S but am reluctant to do so.

Now, I have to say that I love Rain-X but would also like to stop(or not have to use it) in favor of something else. R-X cleans my glass nicely and gives me a nice clear view out and has been a savior in the hard rain with out any fogging with the wipers ON. I'd just like it to last longer but, I can live with that.

I've seen a lot of You-tubers, where they've applied(pick a product) such as silicone or ceramic product AND the videographer ONLY shows the treated glass beading water under garden hose water from both from the outside & inside the vehicle.

However, they NEVER, EVER, EVER show themselves driving through the rain(maybe at dusk) with the wipers ON and the fogging that can be caused from the wipers going back & forth. This is evident when the wipers are on full or on intermittent mode.

The fogging (like hot breath on glass) will occur and slowly go away. The fog will disappear between wipes but reappear with the next wipe and just keep repeating.

Years ago(~ 50 yrs ago), I was told to NEVER use car wax(the real wax...not silicone) on the windshield and I had to find out the hard way. I may have been 17 or 18. OMG, I couldn't see when it rained ! o_O

Last edited:
i notice griots offers a ceramic glass cleaner as does armor all. will these new product replace dedicated coating like rain x etc?? anyone have experience with them yet?

It's so new there haven't been any reviews yet. The market is being flooded with Sio2 based products.

I have used and continue to use Auqapel. It seems to last long and does not cause wiper chatter like rain x did for me. I have not noticed any nightime driving issues with it...

I started using Mothers CMX Ceramic coating on my vehicles. If you get any over spray on the glass, plastic headlight / taillight lenses, or flat black trim, it doesn't effect it, and wipes right off. Just for kicks I did the windshield on my Toyota with it, and found that dried, crusty, bug juice comes off MUCH easier. Same with the bumper and headlight lenses.

So I'm guessing they didn't have to change the product very much to make it a, "glass cleaner". That said, I applied it to an already spotless windshield. Today the new buzzword in the automotive world is, "Ceramic". Anything with that printed on the label will sell. Reminds me of the whole "Polyglycoat" craze in the late 70's and early 80's.
Polyglycoat a blast from the past I do remember that.

I think I'm going to stop using Rain-X spray because it's silicone based. Been using it for years and was wondering why sometimes when I use my wipers, I'd get smearing/blurred view on my windshield. I never knew you have to clean off the old Rain-X and then eapply because it's silicone based. Most of my car washes I use have ceramic properties and seem to do a better job anyways for water beading/repellent.

Picture taken this morning below of what I mean with the smearing and I clean/detail my cars religiously. Combination if humid foggy windows with the silicone smearing I was talking about.

Attachments

• 20211123_051428.jpg
    20211123_051428.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
New product release so not much info/reviews out yet. In one of their videos though, they mention that this is moreso for the side windows and rear windows, maybe due to the wipers eating away at the protection layer and that they still recommend their original clear colored glass sealant for the front windshield. Additionally, they say not to use it too often as it may build up (they recommend to use it once a month or something like that) and to use normal glass cleaner in between. Not sure if this is entirely true or if they are just saying that so all their other products don't appear obsolete.

Seems a little too specific for my use; the Griot's glass sealant is still lasting about 3 months in for me and I'm happy with it. When cleaning the glass, I just use Invisible Glass or just spray rinseless wash with some type of protection (like wax or whatnot) onto the glass to get it clean and for beading.

I think I'm going to stop using Rain-X spray because it's silicone based. Been using it for years and was wondering why sometimes when I use my wipers, I'd get smearing/blurred view on my windshield. I never knew you have to clean off the old Rain-X and then eapply because it's silicone based. Most of my car washes I use have ceramic properties and seem to do a better job anyways for water beading/repellent.

Picture taken this morning below of what I mean with the smearing and I clean/detail my cars religiously. Combination if humid foggy windows with the silicone smearing I was talking about.

I have ran across this as well. My conclusion is to stick with a good quality glass cleaner in the reservoir and for hand cleaning. Good quality wipers are essential as well. A lot of them now are just junk.

Griots makes a good cleaner for the reservoir. For hand cleaning, either the Griots or Sprayway or Invisible Glass are good.

New product release so not much info/reviews out yet. In one of their videos though, they mention that this is moreso for the side windows and rear windows, maybe due to the wipers eating away at the protection layer and that they still recommend their original clear colored glass sealant for the front windshield. Additionally, they say not to use it too often as it may build up (they recommend to use it once a month or something like that) and to use normal glass cleaner in between. Not sure if this is entirely true or if they are just saying that so all their other products don't appear obsolete.

Seems a little too specific for my use; the Griot's glass sealant is still lasting about 3 months in for me and I'm happy with it. When cleaning the glass, I just use Invisible Glass or just spray rinseless wash with some type of protection (like wax or whatnot) onto the glass to get it clean and for beading.
Is griots glass sealant silicone based??

Yep.

The sulfuric acid ingredient is interesting. Used as a etching agent. Apparently it makes for a good glass cleaner. It must be an alternative to ammonia?
So will this cause hazing like rain x sometimes does at night??

So will this cause hazing like rain x sometimes does at night??

That I don’t know. There are a number of factors involved as to whether that will occur, application being one of them.

Having experienced hazing/smearing and wiper chatter in the past using these kinds of products I just stay away. Use good cleaning solutions and have good wipers installed.

Reactions: hrv
The wife just picked this up at our local Wally World today because they were finally in stock. I'm going to give this a try and report back. It's going to be raining a lot this week in my area so it's a good time to try it out. I already completely cleaned and removed the old Rain-X aerosol spray I have been using for years. I just hope that foggy, smeared haze is no more that usually get with Rain-X. Hopefully my summer Rain-X windshield wiper fluid doesn't mess this up since it's in right now.

Attachments

• 20211129_170624.jpg
    20211129_170624.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 11

I use Rain-X alot and I did not realize the fogging and smearing was from it. I thought it was from dust and smoke gradually building up on the glass because I usually have my windows open and smoke. I've used Invisible Glass before on both the car and house stuff and that worked great so I'll probably just purchase that next again instead.

So the Armor All ceramic window spray works pretty good. Unfortunately the Rain-X washer fluid I sprayed over it does smear on top of it but I noticed that when sprayed, it lands on the windshield differently with the ceramic spray. It doesn't cling on if that's makes any sense? I'll probably switch over regular washer fluid of some sorts or even distilled water.

Stoner's has one too. I usually just use whatever LSP I'm using on glass. I haven't used a dedicated glass sealant. I don't think they're worth it from the reviews I've seen. Wipers really knock them down too.

Back