ceramic brake pads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday a repair shop did my brakes front disc and rear drums.
They put Carquest premium ceramic pads on the front.
So far i am not impressed with the stopping power.
Do they need a period of breaking in?

Bed them in by doing ten 60-10 MPH stops with no cool down in-between. Of course, do so safely.

I have the same pads on two of my cars and have no complaints.

I used them on two different occasions in two different vehicles, and wasn't impressed.
27.gif
The first time was with new calipers and rotors, the second time was a pad replacement job. For now when I do brakes I'll stick the brake material the vehicle came with out of the factory.

They may need a couple of hundred miles on them to break in. Be careful bedding in brakes you could end up with a squealer, some pads (usually high performance) seem to benefit from it others just get miserable to live with with the noise, 5 and dime store pads probably wont.

answer is yes

But followup is how long have you driven on them and did you do any break-in already.

If it's been more than 500 miles, likely they are already broken in

Originally Posted By: raytseng
answer is yes

But followup is how long have you driven on them and did you do any break-in already.

If it's been more than 500 miles, likely they are already broken in

Probably 60 miles and mostly freeway.
I did a couple hard stops from 30 mph to 0.

Just drive normally they will break in. They are good pads. Ceramic is a marketing word, the friction rating is what matters. Those should be good FF pads, some of the cheaper ones are in the lower FE range

Originally Posted By: NJ_Car_Owner
My wife's old car had ceramic brakes installed once ... they were horrible and didn't last long.

Mine didn't last as long as the pads they replaced either.

Ceramic don't stop better but generate less dust and handle heat better. If you want bite, then go with semi metallic.

I drove a 1989 Honda Accord for 23 years. I experienced three generations of brake pads during the 353,000 miles I drove it. The last two sets were Raybestos QuietStop (ceramic). I never had noise issues but they kept the wheels the cleanest of all the pads I used. I'm not sure that they actually produced less dust, though, maybe it shed from the pads with less static cling to the wheels and it was lighter in color. The OEM semi-metallic pads made the wheels the ugliest. If there were differences in stopping performance I never noticed it.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Just drive normally they will break in. They are good pads. Ceramic is a marketing word, the friction rating is what matters. Those should be good FF pads, some of the cheaper ones are in the lower FE range

Don't put too much stock into those codes on cheap pads The elcheapo FF pads may be no better than a decent EE pad. These are inexpensive lower quality pads.
Take a quality mid range pad like AXXIS metal masters they are only EE rated but they will out stop almost anything you can buy at the local store including some of the "better brands".
Look at the overlap and you will see what I am taking about.

Brake Codes

Edit: Added picture and link.

Last edited:
Ceramic pads suck when it comes to stopping, but you'll have cleaner wheels. I replaced the OE ceramic pads on my Cruze with semi-metallics and I'm very happy with the change.

Quality ceramic pads from Akebono and other high quality manufacturers are excellent pads. But saying a pad is ceramic means only there is some ceramic in the pads. How much, who knows. Each manufacturer can do what they want.

Originally Posted By: Trav
..Look at the overlap and you will see what I am taking about.

Brake Codes

Edit: Added picture and link.

Thank you very much indeed. That explains a lot of things..

Hey Trav I got some Akebono Street performance brakes pads that are rated GG. They seem to be very good in cold and with temp in them as well. I am thinking that these really are GG rated brake pads.

I don't doubt the Akebono are GG, it a quality pad. There can be different compounds of any rating eg street or track compounds.
Pad codes were a reasonably good guide at one time but today with cheap parts being so common they are used just as much for marketing to people who are looking for them. IMO it would be a good thing if the DOT firmed up the specs to prevent or at least minimize this overlap of codes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back