Cell vs Land line issue

My cell phone works very good on call but my landline phone rings the called number but, then dead ends. I can't figure why. Anyone else have the problem and a solution? Help. Ed

Is the landline a real (phone company) landline or is it (an Internet provider) VOIP?

Have you considered ditching the landline and getting Panasonic Link2Cell phones? They work very good and as long as you leave your BT on, you never have to fiddle with anything when you leave the house and get back home, they work great. You can pair two separate cellphones to the Panasonic cordless phones if you have a significant other.

Reactions: JC1
My land line is part of a package deal with Comcast, and I like a land line in general.

I did a hard boot with my router, and all seems good now. Ed

My land line is part of a package deal with Comcast, and I like a land line in general.

That’s not a landline, that‘s VOIP. Resetting the modem fixing it is a dead giveaway. Spectrum jacked up the VOIP home phone price high enough to make a cell phone cheaper…:ROFLMAO:

That's NOT a landline, it's VOIP the reason why voip has failed gaining wider acceptance is for problems just like you describe.

My cell phone works very good on call but my landline phone rings the called number but, then dead ends. I can't figure why. Anyone else have the problem and a solution? Help. Ed

I had the same problem with a VOIP service (Ooma). After many calls with their tech. support and no solution I gave up on it. Hopefully you have a better outcome.

land lines are best for home use IMO, better sound + usually reliable + NO EMF RADIATION!! i need a land line for my better priced internet i get from Verizons DSL + its slowest-cheapest is good enough for ME!!

My idiot old supervisor when I worked in tv news would say call me on the land line when he wanted a cell phone to cell phone call. In fact our tv station had zero hard wired land lines anywhere. It was all internet based in a different city thru our network signal provider network team.
For folks that dont know.. VOIP means voice over internet protocol. Its phone like in your house but does not connect to any wires at all. The services can be iffy and failure prone.

For folks that dont know.. VOIP means voice over internet protocol. Its phone like in your house but does not connect to any wires at all. The services can be iffy and failure prone
So it just blows IP packets through the air across the world to the other person?

It is just digital data that goes over the internet which is connected with wires. I find it to be very reliable and if there is problems it is usually a poor LAN setup within a business or home. Most "landlines" are really digital VOIP lines now. I would guess at some point almost all "landline" phone audio is digitized now.

busting unions by abandoning 'land lines' ("It costs too much to employ people, use mo`chenes.") Ma Bell would not allow some areas hit w/Sandy (hursca`n) to re-land line. They (same co) charge BOTH partys for a cell call, no?

I wonder how many people call that old number looking for me or my wife? 😅
It's funny, when we got rid of our landline I ported the number to Google Voice rather than just letting it die. It's been 11 years now and we still get a couple relevant calls per year but it's mostly spam.

So it just blows IP packets through the air across the world to the other person?

It is just digital data that goes over the internet which is connected with wires. I find it to be very reliable and if there is problems it is usually a poor LAN setup within a business or home. Most "landlines" are really digital VOIP lines now. I would guess at some point almost all "landline" phone audio is digitized now.
When we have storms internet goes away as does voip based phones. The old bell system hard wired phones had battery systems that powered them.. so an old land based line was beyond reliable .. your power went out but you still had perfect phone service.

Back