Cell vs Land line issue

When we have storms internet goes away as does voip based phones. The old bell system hard wired phones had battery systems that powered them.. so an old land based line was beyond reliable .. your power went out but you still had perfect phone service.
They both use wires was my point. The VOIP system would most likely work if you lost power if you had your data modem on a UPS. Modems used to have batteries in them for this reason, but have removed them in newer models. On the flip side you cell phone will work during a power outage. It is the home equipment that is the problem, not VOIP technology.

Last edited:
As has been said about guns, you can have my landline when you take it from my cold dead hands. My biggest problem with cellphones is that everyone calls me FROM a cellphone. Cell reception is iffy at best for me and for many of my callers, especially when THEY are driving. I have to beg them to use my landline.

it's VOIP the reason why voip has failed gaining wider acceptance is for problems just like you describe.
90% of the calls placed in the world are VoIP (SIP). Almost every cell call made is VoIP (VoLTE), since LTE was adopted. If you have a Uverse or Comcast phone or similar from another carrier, that's SIP. The carriers are working very hard to get rid of TDM switched land-line calls.

As has been said about guns, you can have my landline when you take it from my cold dead hands. My biggest problem with cellphones is that everyone calls me FROM a cellphone. Cell reception is iffy at best for me and for many of my callers, especially when THEY are driving. I have to beg them to use my landline.
If you would use a cell phone and someone calls you from a cell phone, then you'd be using a wideband codec (G722) and it would sound fabulous.

I gave up on landlines years ago.

When I was taking care of my mom and stepfather in a rural area and didn't yet have a cell phone ~15 years ago, a farmer hit a landline pedestal down the road, knocking out phone service to several neighbors. When I called Verizon from another phone, they conducted some kind of "test" on our number and said according to their check the landline was just fine. They didn't want to hear about the neighbors' phones being out or what the cause of the outage was. "Customer service" said it might be two weeks before Verizon could send anyone to fix the problem. In the end, the right people called or something, because the service was restored within a few hours.

A similar thing happened to one of my father's friends and his neighbors a few years later. Again Verizon pulled the same stunt and said two weeks to fix. That time, too, it ended up being fixed that same day.

It was clear Verizon didn't want to bother with landline customers' problems. In 2009, after my mom passed away, I went to a prepaid TracFone cell phone after leaving that rural area and never looked back.

If you would use a cell phone and someone calls you from a cell phone, then you'd be using a wideband codec (G722) and it would sound fabulous.
wwillson, thanks for your reply. My knowledge of ALL telephony is limited at best and I am only speaking from my limited experience and understanding. MY biggest hatred is the voice delay when one or both! parties are using a cellphone/VOIP. I did not experience this in the old days with POTS (plain-old-telephone-system) and I believe this the hallmark of full-duplex vs half-duplex transmission.

voice delay when one or both!
That's codec delay and yes it can be very annoying. The PSTN was the gold standard in minimal delay, but those days are over. The major providers spend a ton of $ to make sure the end to end packet delay is as low as possible in SIP networks. However, you can't get around codec delay.

Reactions: JC1
My land line is part of a package deal with Comcast, and I like a land line in general.

I did a hard boot with my router, and all seems good now. Ed
When I had a landline through my internet provider, modem reboots were a common activity everytime I lost dial tone. Yes you have VOIP.

I wonder how many callers send text messages to your landline 😅😅😅😅. My MIL still has a landline from Bell Canada and the long distance charges are nuts. You'd think the "Goodfellas" are providing the service.

Back