CD in Iraq Said to Have U.S. Schools Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thursday, October 7, 2004
WASHINGTON - Federal law enforcement authorities notified school districts in six states last month that a computer disc found in Iraq contained photos, floor plans and other information about their schools, two U.S. officials said Thursday.

The downloaded data found by the U.S. military in July - all publicly available on the Internet - included an Education Department report guiding schools on how to prepare and respond to a crisis, said one official, speaking on condition of anonymity.

The officials said it was unclear who downloaded the information and stressed there is no evidence of any specific threats involving the schools.

The districts mentioned are in Georgia, Florida, Michigan, New Jersey, Oregon and California. The officials said last month FBI agents in charge of those areas alerted local education and law enforcement officials about the finding.

The officials did not provide the names of the districts. But Salem, Ore., Superintendent Kay Baker confirmed her district was among them.

"Local law enforcement has no knowledge of a specific threat to any of our school buildings," she said. "We will work collaboratively with law enforcement on any further developments."

San Diego schools also were included, according to The San Diego Union-Tribune, and ABC News said there was a second California district. The Salem Statesman Journal reported the other districts were Fort Myers, Fla.; Jones County, Ga.; Birch Run, Mich.; and Franklinville and Rumson, both in New Jersey.

The disc contained an Education Department report called "Practical Information on Crisis Planning: A Guide for Schools and Communities," published in May 2003, as well as photos and floor plans.

In a separate but more widespread warning put out this week, the Education Department advised school leaders nationwide to watch for people spying on their buildings or buses to help detect any possibility of terrorism like the deadly school siege last month in Russia.

The warning follows an analysis by the FBI and the Homeland Security Department of the siege that killed nearly 340 people, many of them students, in the city of Beslan.

"The horror of this attack may have created significant anxiety in our own country among parents, students, faculty staff and other community members," Deputy Education Secretary Eugene Hickok said in a letter sent Wednesday to schools and education groups.

The Education Department's advice is based on lessons learned from the Russia siege. But there is no specific information indicating a terrorist threat to any schools or universities in the United States, Hickok said.

Federal law enforcement officials also have urged local police to stay in contact with school officials and have encouraged reporting of suspicious activities, the letter says.

In particular, schools were told to watch for activities that may be legitimate on their own - but may suggest a threat if many of them occur.

Among those activities:

- Interest in obtaining site plans for schools, bus routes and attendance lists.

- Prolonged "static surveillance" by people disguised as panhandlers, shoe shiners, newspaper or flower vendors or street sweepers not previously seen in the area.

- Observations of security drills.

- People staring at or quickly looking away from employees or vehicles as they enter or leave parking areas.

- Foot surveillance of campuses involving individuals working together.

The effort is the latest by the Education Department and other federal agencies to encourage school officials to maintain and practice a plan for responding to emergencies.

"It's a positive sign that they're finally discussing this after years of downplaying or denying even the possibility of a terrorist strike on schools," said Kenneth Trump, a Cleveland-based school safety consultant who has worked with officials in more than 40 states. "Public officials are in fear of creating fear, but we have to put the cards on the table, educate people in the school community and make sure they are well prepared."

After the terrorist takeover of the Russian school, President Bush asked his top advisers to review their strategies for dealing with hostage situations, Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge has said.

The federal government is advising schools to take many steps to improve the security of their buildings. Those include installing locks for all doors and windows, having a single entry point into buildings and ensuring they can reach school bus drivers in an emergency.

The Education Department sent its letter by e-mail Wednesday to school police, state school officers, school boards, groups representing principals and many other organizations.

The Homeland Security Department also sent a bulletin to federal, state and local emergency officials to provide fresh guidance based on the review of the school siege in Russia.

---

Associated Press writers Curt Anderson and Elizabeth Wolfe contributed to this report.

As much as I dislike these "news only" posts, thanks for posting this. I heard this on ABC radio yesterday evening (in the car). My question: Was this mentioned on the evening news???

Probably not, we would hate to offend any Middle Eastern or Muslim people since they all love us so much.

I don't even want to think about what the terrorists are likely to try here in the days before the November elections. Hopefully we intercept them, and speed them on their way to their 72 virgins.

That Russian School incident scares me. It is going to give all the nutcases ideas.

The Russian school incident has already given them ideas and somebody would not have gone to the trouble of downloading the information on american schools if the terrorists were not at least considering some sort of similar terrorist act in the USA. They know that an attack on a school and on school children has major shock value. How any of these Islamic terrorists could ever be considered religious by anybody is beyond my understanding.

It is going to have to come down to fences, bars, and iron gates on our schools. How else can you protect them? They will never allow armed guards in a school. For gods sake, if you mention the word gun in a school you are suspended or expelled. In some of the smaller towns what is 1 bullet Barney going to do against these people. It is sad to say, but something like the Russia deal will have to happen in order to wake up all the bleeding hearts in this country. Sorry, but I worry about my kids these days.

quote:

Originally posted by tmorris1:
It is going to have to come down to fences, bars, and iron gates on our schools. How else can you protect them? They will never allow armed guards in a school. For gods sake, if you mention the word gun in a school you are suspended or expelled. In some of the smaller towns what is 1 bullet Barney going to do against these people. It is sad to say, but something like the Russia deal will have to happen in order to wake up all the bleeding hearts in this country. Sorry, but I worry about my kids these days.

I fear that you are VERY correct.While I dont have any kids,I do have a nephew that is getting very close to school age.

Terrorists DO NOT CARE who or what the target is,they just KILL .

I would volunteer as an armed guard at any local school. It needs to be done.

That being said, CNN says it was found in an office connected with the Iraqi school system and was possibly to be used in the new schools design.

Could go either way. Regardless, security is still needed. I'd rather pre-empt that bullcrap then wait until it is absolutley necessary. Believe me, US SWAT will not do much of a better job than the Russians. It is a no win situation.

**** , two untrained naive kids in columbine were successful.

quote:

Originally posted by Jason Troxell:

No,there is no Iraq - Terrorist link. Repeat after me. [/QB][/QUOTE]
--------------------------------------------------

That IS what many want us to think.I however disagree.Hussein wasn't going to stand and publicly tell everyone that he had talked with a terrorist group.He wasn't going to inform the UN that he was helping with such.

Once again,the old saying of:"An enemy of MY enemy is MY friend" is at work here.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
As much as I dislike these "news only" posts, thanks for posting this. I heard this on ABC radio yesterday evening (in the car). My question: Was this mentioned on the evening news???

I saw a story on it last night on the news. I just don't remember which network. They showed the plans, etc.

quote:

Originally posted by poison:
That being said, CNN says it was found in an office connected with the Iraqi school system and was possibly to be used in the new schools design.

lol.gif

That has got to be one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard.
I dont mean to offend but this just doesnt hold water.

patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by motorguy222:

quote:

Originally posted by poison:

lol.gif

That has got to be one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard.
I dont mean to offend but this just doesnt hold water.

Look which network is reporting this and then it makes sense.
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back