CCW Permit Processing Time ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh, that reminds me that I need to go get mine renewed. It expired years ago and I've been super lazy about getting it renewed/reissued, even though I don't technically need it most of the time, there are still places a state-issued permit covers that LEOSA doesn't.

Worst than the carry permits are the DL’s renewals in Texas… It was a six month waiting list by appointment only in my area last time I checked.
We had that "appointment only" crap for a while here as well. But now that people have stopped hiding under their beds over Covid, things are pretty much back to normal. You can simply walk in and stand in line.

I'm at 5 months and counting in AZ for my CCW. Sent in my info on Dec 14 '21. My info didn't even get into their system until 4/4/22 and still going thru the background process. I got an email today saying to check back in another 30 days.

I'm at 5 months and counting in AZ for my CCW. Sent in my info on Dec 14 '21. My info didn't even get into their system until 4/4/22 and still going thru the background process. I got an email today saying to check back in another 30 days.

While I agree there are no doubt an increased number of applications, there can't POSSIBLY be that many. For God's sake, if every resident in the state applied, it shouldn't take them almost 5 MONTHS, just to get the information from your envelope into their system.

I've held a Arizona CCW since they first adopted CCW back in 1994. For obtaining my original, up until this last renewal it never took more than 4 weeks. Some renewals I got back in as little as 2 weeks.

I'm just not buying that all of this is because of Covid. That is starting to become as overused as, the dog ate my homework. It only seems to be the government agencies that are floundering the worst at all of this.

I have no idea what you just said. (Read it word for word).

There are several advantages to having a CCW permit in addition to living in a Constitutional Carry state. For example, here in Arizona it exempts you from going through the Instacheck background check when you purchase a weapon.

That system is horribly flawed, and it goes down a lot. Especially on weekends when all the major gun shows are being held. This can and does screw up sales.... A LOT of them.

By having a current and valid CCW you eliminate a lot of land mines when buying a firearm. There are also many other advantages.
This is how it works in Texas, but does not in Colorado as I found out when purchasing my first pistol here. You have to do the full background check (with or without CHL), but it takes less than 45 minutes.

Fortunately, I can turn my Texas CHL in and "exchange" it for a Colorado CHL.

This is how it works in Texas, but does not in Colorado as I found out when purchasing my first pistol here. You have to do the full background check (with or without CHL), but it takes less than 45 minutes.

Fortunately, I can turn my Texas CHL in and "exchange" it for a Colorado CHL.
Makes sense. Texas is a free state. Colorado is not..... At least not anymore.

Full back ground check* is required with a concealed carry permit in Virginia.

However, the permit exempts you from the one handgun a month limit.

Well worth having even if you don’t carry.

*My most recent background check came back in under a minute from the Virginia State Police. So, while the full check is required, regardless of permit status, it is generally very fast.

Do you think being "long term" military helps?
No. I think, quite honestly, that it’s because my first name is unusual, that is, there aren’t a lot of people with my name, which makes the search simple. A Google search on my name doesn’t reveal anyone else in Virginia. I’m a bit of a “frequent flyer” in the search as well.

My kid brother, up in Connecticut, has a far more common first name, and his check takes hours, or even days, because they have to do some digging to ensure he’s not one of the criminal records that pops up with his name, even though his purchase history is similar to mine.

While I agree there are no doubt an increased number of applications, there can't POSSIBLY be that many. For God's sake, if every resident in the state applied, it shouldn't take them almost 5 MONTHS, just to get the information from your envelope into their system.

I've held a Arizona CCW since they first adopted CCW back in 1994. For obtaining my original, up until this last renewal it never took more than 4 weeks. Some renewals I got back in as little as 2 weeks.

I'm just not buying that all of this is because of Covid. That is starting to become as overused as, the dog ate my homework. It only seems to be the government agencies that are floundering the worst at all of this.
When I took the class, which was from a husband/wife team that's based in Lake Havasu actually, they were very clear that current times are running 3 to 4 months, so now it must be at 6 months. I'm guessing the CCW permit people have become more busy with the rate the AZ is growing recently. With most state/city/county operations I've dealt with, most individual employees seem to get a good 3-4 hours of work done on a good day.

The average citizen can't even get a CCW in Los Angela's county. Takes about 18 months in my shall issue county plus about $1000
i lived in Shasta county from 2000 until 2017 and the sheriffs wanted you to carry. I the sheriff saw you out in public he would ask are you armed? Yes gave a response of good and not carrying would ne you should.. Sadly it is political.

No. I think, quite honestly, that it’s because my first name is unusual, that is, there aren’t a lot of people with my name, which makes the search simple. A Google search on my name doesn’t reveal anyone else in Virginia. I’m a bit of a “frequent flyer” in the search as well.

My kid brother, up in Connecticut, has a far more common first name, and his check takes hours, or even days, because they have to do some digging to ensure he’s not one of the criminal records that pops up with his name, even though his purchase history is similar to mine.
Astro is an unusual first name if you aske me !!! ;)

Sadly it is political.

Yes, like most things involving firearms, it's political. If the party in power agrees with the concealed carry laws that are in place, they will more then likely expedite the process, in order to allow the people to enjoy the right they have. If they disagree, they will foot drag the entire matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back