CCW Permit Processing Time ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many of you who have applied for, or else have renewed your CCW Permits, have seen a substantial increase in processing time? Here in Arizona for years it only took about 4 weeks, start to finish, in order to process a CCW Permit or renewal.

Now it is taking up to 4 months to process something that used to take 4 weeks? A 400% increase in processing time. And it appears to be getting worse, not better.

How many of you would still be working at your jobs, if it suddenly took you 4 times longer to do the same amount of work? Isn't working for the government great!

Have any of you in other states experienced a drastic increase in process times regarding CCW's?

Lobby you elected person for constitutional carry while waiting.

I have no idea what you just said. (Read it word for word).

There are several advantages to having a CCW permit in addition to living in a Constitutional Carry state. For example, here in Arizona it exempts you from going through the Instacheck background check when you purchase a weapon.

That system is horribly flawed, and it goes down a lot. Especially on weekends when all the major gun shows are being held. This can and does screw up sales.... A LOT of them.

By having a current and valid CCW you eliminate a lot of land mines when buying a firearm. There are also many other advantages.

Last edited:
Where I am depending on the volume of applicants it can take from a day to a month or more. Renewals are usually a one or two day turn around time. Ten years ago you could walk into the office downtown, drop your $20 with your renewal application and be out in ten minutes with your new photo ID. When I applied for mine in the mid eighties it was like two days for approval. Now it's crazy around here where based on the number of adults in the county it's around 1 in 15 have a carry permit. The county next to me Westmoreland is looking at around 1 in 12 adults has a carry permit.

My home state of WA has a statutory 30 day limit on how long it can take to issue a license. They foresaw this kind of potential abuse from bureaucrats and politicians who don't support this civil right. Another nice thing about WA state firearm laws is absolute state preemption. This prevents cities, counties, etc. from passing their own firearm laws, which makes a patchwork of conflicting laws. This has come in handy several times over the years, as localities pass their own restrictions only to have them rescinded due to state preemption. The Seattle mayor a few years ago said he'd instruct the police not to recognize state issued carry permits, and of course that never happened due to state preemption.

My home state of WA has a statutory 30 day limit on how long it can take to issue a license. They foresaw this kind of potential abuse from bureaucrats and politicians who don't support this civil right.
I think Pennsylvania law is 45 days to process an application.

My home state of WA has a statutory 30 day limit on how long it can take to issue a license. They foresaw this kind of potential abuse from bureaucrats and politicians who don't support this civil right. Another nice thing about WA state firearm laws is absolute state preemption. This prevents cities, counties, etc. from passing their own firearm laws, which makes a patchwork of conflicting laws. This has come in handy several times over the years, as localities pass their own restrictions only to have them rescinded due to state preemption. The Seattle mayor a few years ago said he'd instruct the police not to recognize state issued carry permits, and of course that never happened due to state preemption.
As you very know very well, this is being worked on without rest.

How many of you who have applied for, or else have renewed your CCW Permits, have seen a substantial increase in processing time? Here in Arizona for years it only took about 4 weeks, start to finish, in order to process a CCW Permit or renewal.

Now it is taking up to 4 months to process something that used to take 4 weeks? A 400% increase in processing time. And it appears to be getting worse, not better.

How many of you would still be working at your jobs, if it suddenly took you 4 times longer to do the same amount of work? Isn't working for the government great!

Have any of you in other states experienced a drastic increase in process times regarding CCW's?
But it's not 'the same amount of work'. They are backlogged, not sandbagging.

Since COVID there has been a huge increase in gun sales and permit applications in every state in the country. You're a gun guy so I know you know this.

Be glad you don't live in Illinois. It took me over 1.5 years to get my FOID card renewed, despite the fact that the year before my CCW was renewed without any delay. Only good part was the fact that the CCW also functions as a FOID for use here now, thanks to the law updates. FOID is suppose to have a mandatory processing time of 60 days for renewals, 90 days for CCW but since the department of the IL State Police that handled all these things was severely defunded, they fell way behind. Its finally gotten better due to the numerous lawsuits that have been filed in regard to this issue and my brother managed to get his FOID renewal in only about 6 months. Still way over the laws limits but a lot better than my 1.5 years.

FWIW when I got my Florida CCW it took about a week to process. The permit actually beat me home to California.

My application was thrown away here because the first criteria of making a sizeable donation ($10K+) to the Sheriff's Council wasn't checked off.

Be glad you don't live in Illinois. It took me over 1.5 years to get my FOID card renewed, despite the fact that the year before my CCW was renewed without any delay. Only good part was the fact that the CCW also functions as a FOID for use here now, thanks to the law updates. FOID is suppose to have a mandatory processing time of 60 days for renewals, 90 days for CCW but since the department of the IL State Police that handled all these things was severely defunded, they fell way behind. Its finally gotten better due to the numerous lawsuits that have been filed in regard to this issue and my brother managed to get his FOID renewal in only about 6 months. Still way over the laws limits but a lot better than my 1.5 years.

I sent my application in about 4 weeks early, and they sent it back to me saying they couldn't process it until whatever date. If they had simply processed it when they received it, I would have received it on time. But as a result it ended up around 4 weeks late. (They created more work and wasted manpower by sending it back, than had they simply processed it).

We've seen a steady increase in permit applications nationwide. They, (insert the state of your choice), should have been prepared for this, but they weren't. Many still aren't, and Covid is long gone.

I lived in Illinois for 38 years. I believe it is one of the worst for gun ownership, directly because of the F.O.I.D. Card requirement. It basically gives the state government total control over your ability to own a firearm... ANY firearm. Not even California is that backward regarding Constitutional rights.

My home state of WA has a statutory 30 day limit on how long it can take to issue a license. They foresaw this kind of potential abuse from bureaucrats and politicians who don't support this civil right.

This should be the law in EVERY state. It would also require them to maintain sufficient manpower, so these things do not get backed up for months on end.

All simply due to the fact more people apply. Most every state has seen steady increases in applicants since Concealed Carry was brought on line. This trend is going to continue.

In Louisiana it depends on a lot of things . The fastest way to get your initial permit is to submit the application electronically and have your fingerprints done at the State Police HQ or any agency that can scan and submit them . My initial permit took about a week . My last renewal was submitted online and took about the same time . I've heard stories about people mailing in applications and fingerprint cards and they waited months .

First time back in 2009 I waited 48 days, after it was renewed four years later for 32.50 and notarized and the wait was two to three weeks. This last time was a couple of weeks in Kansas.

No rights are guaranteed. Especially during a vector for disease event......It's an excuse! Remember words are just words on paper or electronic. No tangible rights.....Just great ideas that fade with an event. A human construct. My humble opinion of course....Best of luck!

PA: Fill it out online. Go into the courthouse, get pic taken. Done
If you fill out in the courthouse, it might take 1/2 hour.

I renewed my AZ permit in December. It expired January 1. I called a couple weeks ago and was told they are working on renewals from November. He apologized and said be patient. He also expressed his displeasure that things were so far out of whack.

Hmm, filled out my renewal online (mine was going to expire July 2022), paid $40, and < 2 weeks later received my new carry permit in the mail.
No new finger print cards (why, they have not changed from my original) or new pic (they use the same pic that is on my drivers license)

I guess that is one thing Texas still does right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back