CCW one in the chamber

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read a great deal of this thread, and I must say I not sure what to think. I have been carrying concealed for many years and to insinuate that one must have completed some training course to have knowledge of how to carry concealed is absurd

Also if you have kids I see one reason just to start off with as why to not carry a round in the chamber seeing as you walked into your inlaws house, as a reminder a house is not a public place, and you are at the house owners rules !! That's not only polite that's the law

If you think getting one off that fast is that important I assure you that just drawing your weapon and getting target will take some time in a real elf defense situation....

I will prepare to now be flamed away.... note I did not say it was foolish to carry either way, but ti call either way foolish is foolish as each and every situation is different as one should know

My thing is from what was written is they thought he was crazy for carrying chambered ANYWHERE, not just in their house. I agree, if someone does not want you to carry in their house, or to do so in specific ways, that is fine and understandable.
However to call him crazy for carrying chambered anywhere is a bit over the top.
I would just not pull it out to show it off anymore. That is probably more unsafe than carrying chambered. Most NDs occur during holstering. I would just tell them the model so they can look it up on the internet if they are that interested. If they REALLY want to fondle your weapon, I would take them to the range. That way they get to shoot it as well.
Its not so much about fast (though that is a valid question) as if you could even chamber it period.
Will you have a free hand with enough dexterity to work the slide properly to ensure it chambers?
I'd rather it be ready to go.
Or not carry it at all.

Originally Posted By: rclint
Also if you have kids I see one reason just to start off with as why to not carry a round in the chamber

This is why I do not carry with one in the chamber. If a person is diligent, a child should never be left with the firearm to begin with, but having one in the chamber with kids around adds another layer of danger. Besides, it takes less than a second to chamber a round in my .45 although it doesn't bother me that people walk around with one in the chamber. If I didn't have kids, I would probably walk around with one in the chamber as well. To each their own I suppose.

Last edited:
I will carry one in the chamber of my glock if I'm in a area I don't think is safe etc, however I prob go around with an empty chamber more than a loaded chamber, as well I go around with the gun stored at my house or in the dash of the car as much as I carry.

I have seen threads where people can think up the strangest things about carrying a concealed weapon, and it seems people want to be a hero, or the one that does the saving etc... I would give up my wallet in a heartbeat of I had my kids with me, and a gun on me, and never even look around for my gun, however some situations might come up that I need protection for me, my family etc.. what I'm saying is getting robbed wouldn't bother me, but harm to me, my family would.. chances are if a robber was to hit you at the atm he would come around a corner etc with a gun already on you.. that's what I would do if I were a robber.

Also if you think you can make your kids mind you/behave put a steel gun just like a real BUT FAKE one in a room where the kids can't see you lay it on a table in the corner etc and tell them not to play with the gun how dangerous it is etc.. you can do this with kids ages 3-12 or so maybe even older and see what happens.. Also hiding a gun does very little good, this is one reason I keep my chamber empty most of the time, and I'm always scared I have left one in the chamber... I truly love my kids, and see a loaded weapon in the house, car etc with my kids as much more danger to them than the need for a concealed weapon for the most part !! I'm just being honest here, I know everyone's situation is different, and I also pointed that out.

Also if you think you can make your kids mind you/behave put a steel gun just like a real BUT FAKE one in a room where the kids can't see you lay it on a table in the corner etc and tell them not to play with the gun how dangerous it is etc.. you can do this with kids ages 3-12 or so maybe even older and see what happens.. Also hiding a gun does very little good, this is one reason I keep my chamber empty most of the time, and I'm always scared I have left one in the chamber... I truly love my kids, and see a loaded weapon in the house, car etc with my kids as much more danger to them than the need for a concealed weapon for the most part !! I'm just being honest here, I know everyone's situation is different, and I also pointed that out.

I actually do just that and test them by periodically leaving one of my handguns on the dinner table with the clip pulled and the chamber clear just to make sure they tell Mom or Dad that there is a firearm on the table and not for them to touch it.

As for me, I keep several handguns scattered around the house in discrete locations. They are all semi-automatics with the clips full but nothing in the chamber. They have been at their present locations for a few years and none of our three kids have noticed them as of yet. Even if they would find one, and begin to play with it, which is obviously not how they are instructed, there is no way they know enough at their age to pull the slide back to chamber a round let alone have the finger strength to do it. For that reason, I won't own a revolver, that stays outside the gun case, until after each of them is grown up and out of the house. Everyone has their own thoughts and opinions, that is mine.

I always get a kick out of people that want to purchase a hand gun for home protection but then lock it up in a gun safe, perhaps even unloaded. If you want to have a handgun for personal protection, be prepared to instruct your children on proper safety measures, but leave the firearm somewhat accessible if needed at a moments notice. While my hand guns are at discrete locations, they are usually at a second or two reach from my location in the house. Be safe.

Last edited:
we will just have to agree to disagree as to me my worst nightmare is my kids getting a hold of one of my guns, and killing themself... I do instruct my kids, and have shown both what happens to a coke bottle full of water, and told them that's the same that will happen to whatever, and I asked either if they could fix the coke bottle after shooting, and they got a big kick out of that, and I then told them it's the same way with our bodies etc.. my point we both agree on instructing kids....

we will just have to agree to disagree as to me my worst nightmare is my kids getting a hold of one of my guns, and killing themself... I do instruct my kids, and have shown both what happens to a coke bottle full of water, and told them that's the same that will happen to whatever, and I asked either if they could fix the coke bottle after shooting, and they got a big kick out of that, and I then told them it's the same way with our bodies etc.. my point we both agree on instructing kids....

I respect your position. Hopefully we both won't ever have to use one in self-defense.

I completely agree to not keep it loaded if you have kids at home. Luckily for me I dont have any children right now, nor plan on it right now... that will take my gun money away for sure!

I own Glocks and I keep one in the chamber. I don't want to have another step to think about if I ever have to use it. That is also the same reason I have a gun without a safety. I use the thing between my ears as a safety and always treat every gun as if it is loaded and ready to shoot. In a stessful situation, unless you train a lot and often, fumbling around with the safety or trying to rack the slide is an added step I don't want.

As far as kids and guns, I agree that when kids are very little, you need to keep loaded guns unaccesable but kids need to be taught at some point about what guns can do and how and what to do if they find a loaded gun. Your house is not the only place they are going to go as they grow up and maybe other people don't take the same precaustions you do with how they store or keep guns. Not teaching kids about guns and to safely handle them is a recipe for disaster in my opinion.

Wayne

I always keep one in the chamber too when I carry. One CCW class I took several years ago spent a few hours on this very topic. We went over the statistics showing how a high % of confrontations start in a split sec and over in a couple seconds with very few shots fired... you want every single mili-sec on your side thus why I keep one chambered too.

No disrespect but you brought the problem on yourself. When I carry..unless its my brother in-law who is a real gun person..its my little secret.

Gun will never be brought out in a situation like this.

Originally Posted By: Al
No disrespect but you brought the problem on yourself. When I carry..unless its my brother in-law who is a real gun person..its my little secret.

Gun will never be brought out in a situation like this.
Well I dont bring attention to myself but when everyone in the family has known for a while that you carry and they are all interested in your new pocket .380 you got Im not going to say no to family. It was just an unspoken thing amongst them that one in the chamber is beyond dangerous.

A proper gun is totally safe to carry with one in the chamber and just about every self defense guru worth his salt will agree that in a life or death situation you need every second and the less complicated the defensive action the less chance of you botching using your weapon effectively with your fight or flight system going haywire and clouding your thinking.

I carry my Beretta 8040 with one in the chamber, the hammer down, and the safety off. No way that gun is going to go off without a long and deliberate pull of the trigger thanks to the firing pin safety.

A revolver ALWAYS has one in the chamber, if fully loaded, so what is their point? Rugers are famous for being tough AND safe. I guess the way to handle the drilling is with facts about CCW and proper . Facts you get from somebody published like Massab Ayoob; or the local police chief (if they know him/her). My personal favorite is the Kathy Jackson's Cornered Cat (www.cornerdcat.com). She has gobs of good information. Maybe you could pull it up at home and ask your wife to read it before you go to IL's again.

Originally Posted By: 2cool
A revolver ALWAYS has one in the chamber, if fully loaded, so what is their point? Rugers are famous for being tough AND safe. I guess the way to handle the drilling is with facts about CCW and proper . Facts you get from somebody published like Massab Ayoob; or the local police chief (if they know him/her). My personal favorite is the Kathy Jackson's Cornered Cat (www.cornerdcat.com). She has gobs of good information. Maybe you could pull it up at home and ask your wife to read it before you go to IL's again.
No its cool now. Since this post started we got a divorce. Lol the problem is taken care of.

Originally Posted By: Blaze
I know folks that would keep thier revolvers "resting on an empty chamber"....which doesn't make any sense today.

If it's a double action revolver, it make perfect sense.

Why would you carry with one empty chamber in a D/A? or why would it make perfect sense? I just don't see how that primer is going to hit by the pin unless you pull the trigger.

Originally Posted By: cbear
I know folks that would keep thier revolvers "resting on an empty chamber"....which doesn't make any sense today.

If it's a double action revolver, it make perfect sense.

Pretty much any modern revolver with a blocking bar or transfer bar will block the firing pin from striking the primer on the round loaded in the cylinder without a full pull on the trigger, pretty much like any autoloader with an automatic firing pin safety.

The empty chamber is only legitimate on wheelguns lacking a blocking bar or transfer bar system, like an old west repro. My 1872 Open Top repro revolver does alloy the firing pin(connected to the hammer) to rest on the primer, so if you are going to carry it around loaded it would be safer to do with the hammer down on an empty chamber.

Why would you carry with one empty chamber in a D/A? or why would it make perfect sense? I just don't see how that primer is going to hit by the pin unless you pull the trigger.

Anything mechanical can fail. Personally if I had a D/A revolver, I'd carry it hammer down on an empty chamber. If I've shot off 5 rounds and still haven't stopped or deterred my target, then I'm in way over my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back