Caught someone doing a hit and run on my car

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is why i drive a 93 olds to work. In fact no one parks near it. it has terrible paint but no body dents.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
"In addition I would have called the police and made the kid wait there for them. I'd want a police report to be safe showing he struck my parked car."

This is probably true in many locales but our police will not respond to accidents unless there is a fight or if injuries have occurred. All accident reports are done online. Something like this would definitely fall into this category.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
In addition I would have called the police and made the kid wait there for them. I'd want a police report to be safe showing he struck my parked car.

I hate people like you. If you get his insurance information that's all you need.
These old people will block a road for hours to wait for police when it's literally a scratch. One or both end up getting tickets. No injuries, nobody dead, both cars drivable. Get insurance info and be on your way.

You hate people like me? LOL The POS was about to take off, w/o leaving a note, he tried to deny hitting the car. That in a nutshell is why I'd have the cops there. As far as blocking a road, what road? It was in a parking lot. I'd want a police report, in case the POS decides to change his story when it comes time to talk with the insurance company. Remember the OP was walking to his car and witnessed the hit, that would look real good in the accident report, cut and dry.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
"In addition I would have called the police and made the kid wait there for them. I'd want a police report to be safe showing he struck my parked car."

This is probably true in many locales but our police will not respond to accidents unless there is a fight or if injuries have occurred. All accident reports are done online. Something like this would definitely fall into this category.

They'll respond here. Maybe its different elsewhere.

One thing to keep in mind, if it was a beater and the person was nice about it I'd probably forget the whole thing. Try and run or deny it, wouldn't bode well with me. Two of my three vehicles are in like new condition so I'd want them fixed properly.

In addition I would have called the police and made the kid wait there for them. I'd want a police report to be safe showing he struck my parked car.

If the damage is under $1000 (or something like that) they won't even come out.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

If the damage is under $1000 (or something like that) they won't even come out.

As I mentioned it depends on the area I guess. They do come out here, and if you mention the person was attempting to leave the scene, is giving you a hard time, a female or older person that is afraid they'll come even faster.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
I'm not saying your wrong so don't take this the wrong way but that looks very minor
I would have a hard time believe he would even be aware of something like that.

Yeah it's damage but it's mostly paint from the looks of it. If I had someone approach me and say that I probably wouldn't believe them unless I felt it or heard it. Even if they had AC on and no music I doubt it would make much noise.

Given the lawsuit culture I would would be skeptic myself but then again I'm 59 and never gotten as much as a speeding ticket.

Its about $400 of minor

How you going to make him wait if he doesn't want to? - try to detain him, pull a pistol???

Originally Posted By: SeaJay

How you going to make him wait if he doesn't want to? - try to detain him, pull a pistol???

No, why waste time and effort on violence, or the threat of it? I'd tell him if you want to tell your side of the story to the police I'd suggest you wait, if not I have your plate, a picture, and a witness. Then he can decide. If he has at least half a brain he'll wait. If not he can find out what happens after I tell my side of the story.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
I'm not saying your wrong so don't take this the wrong way but that looks very minor
I would have a hard time believe he would even be aware of something like that.

Yeah it's damage but it's mostly paint from the looks of it. If I had someone approach me and say that I probably wouldn't believe them unless I felt it or heard it. Even if they had AC on and no music I doubt it would make much noise.

Given the lawsuit culture I would would be skeptic myself but then again I'm 59 and never gotten as much as a speeding ticket.

Its about $400 of minor

Yep, and a few years ago (2010-ish) my wife had a car door hit her '06 Taurus left a dent dead center in the bend of her driver side door. Estimate was $2,000 for body work/blend and we never even tried to file it because it was minor.

I guess expense is subjective. It may cost $400 for that 30 mins of prep for a fingernail bottle size of factory paint and a single pass of clear coat.

$400 wouldn't even cover the cost of redoing the bumper correctly so that is what they will get.

My comment wasn't defending him or the damage my comment was in regards to how he was skeptic and the probability he never heard nor felt the contact.

My comment wasn't defending him or the damage my comment was in regards to how he was skeptic and the probability he never heard nor felt the contact.

My vantage point was through the windshield, I saw the expression on his face and there was no question he knew he hit my car as his passengers started giggling. From 2 spots away, I saw the mark on my car and knew there was damage, but couldn't even take the time to inspect it since I saw he was preparing to drive off. Luckily some pedestrians were walking through the lot and unknowingly blocked him from leaving.

I hate people like you. If you get his insurance information that's all you need.
These old people will block a road for hours to wait for police when it's literally a scratch. One or both end up getting tickets. No injuries, nobody dead, both cars drivable. Get insurance info and be on your way.

I agree people shouldn't block the road. Pull to the side of the road after an accident, but ALWAYS call the police, and ALWAYS take pictures. When I worked claims it was unbelievable how many people gave expired or fake insurance info to the other driver. If their info is expired or fake, the damage is on you. I even saw cases where people wrote notes saying "sorry, hit your car" with no info on hit and runs. They wrote a note so people who saw it would think they were leaving their info.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

I agree people shouldn't block the road. Pull to the side of the road after an accident, but ALWAYS call the police, and ALWAYS take pictures. When I worked claims it was unbelievable how many people gave expired or fake insurance info to the other driver. If their info is expired or fake, the damage is on you. I even saw cases where people wrote notes saying "sorry, hit your car" with no info on hit and runs. They wrote a note so people who saw it would think they were leaving their info.

Bingo! That's how I was taught, always get a police report, or get them involved. It eliminates lots of potential problems from people who might not be so honest. In the OP's case the kid displayed his inner fiber by the laughs, and denial. That is three strikes and you're out in my book. Stories can change real fast, or change a day later after a discussing the matter with family and friends. Police reports eliminate that.

This occurred in a parking lot, don't block the lane, on a street or highway pull the vehicle off to a safe spot. Basic common sense, yet there are people lacking the smarts to do that so it must be said. Since there were no injuries looking around for a witness or two is always helpful.

If the other party decides to leave, for whatever reason, have their plate number and a picture or description of the car if possible. Then when the police come tell one side of the story, yours. Then let the offending party that took off decide how to figure out how to fix it when they're accused of leaving the scene of an accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back