Catastrophic ecodiesel failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happened last week. I was on my way to work and got the dreaded "service electronic throttle" message . 2015 ecodiesel with 41,000 miles. I limped it to the dealer after stalling with limited power . I had the dealer do the fuel filters for my own protection knowing the history of cp4 pumps. Chrysler is replacing my entire injection system on their dime, apparently the fuel filter disintegrated and destroyed everything downstream. They told me I'm the first case they've seen. Anyone else in my boat?

Yep, OEM. My whole reason besides laziness for having them do it. Even the service advisor said that was a good call. He said he had to order an entire fuel system and couldn't give me a return estimate. I'm driving a loaner on their dime. They also need to do the EPA settlement recall, but that's another story.

The manual specified 30,000 originally, 20,000 for bio blends. Now I'm being told every other oil change. I'm getting taken care of because I have less than 10k on this filter. I think having a helpful dealer is making things work; I've read the horror stories! They were honest and found filter material throughout...they could've easily screwed me, or at least tried to.

I'm not sure I understand how the dealer could have behaved badly. If I understand correctly, you had the dealership replace the filters previously, and on time.

Are there updated parts available?

The part number hasn't changed to my knowledge. I was just surprised because I had read so many horror stories of FCA finding any reason to deny a warranty claim. And it's not just them, all the big 3 use the cp4 pump and look for an out.☹ï¸

I think you're lucky. The dealer is warranting this whole mess.

The engine itself is still OK, this is just the injection system. Could've been a lot worse...

You're absolutely correct. I meant this post as more of a heads up to fellow owners, not a complaint.
Originally Posted by Astro14
I think you're lucky. The dealer is warranting this whole mess.

The engine itself is still OK, this is just the injection system. Could've been a lot worse...

Any idea who makes the factory Ecodiesel filters? Magnetti Marelli? I've honestly never heard of disintegrating diesel fuel filters being an issue, I've always used Baldwin, Wix, & AC Delco (on the 6.2).

The move to ULSD has made the injection pump the weak spot on diesel engines. The sulfur in the old diesel fuel supplied lubricity to the fuel system. I have had 3 diesel vehicles, 2 Ford truck and a VW Passat and drove/rode in many fire engines and have never heard of a fuel filter disintegrating.
Glad they are covering as they usually replace everything including the lines and fuel tank.

This is the first time Ive heard of something like that happening in 20 years of diesel training. The ULSD can be a huge problem, I usually run additives to be safe, but Ive sent a few BMW diesels back to the dealer for goodwill repairs, one dealer ate a $14k repair bill for complete diesel injection system, 2 pumps, injectors filters sensors and a FUEL TANK AND LINES!!!

Originally Posted by wwillson
turbodieselfreak,

Did you run any additives in your fuel?

Good question. Many use additives religiously and others never touch them. When a injection pump fails the first thing a dealer will do is to test the fuel. Bad fuel is what generally takes out an injection pump. If fuel fails the test the vehicle owner usually has to go after the filling station where the fuel was bought so I kept every receipt for every tank I bought. I used stanadyne diesel fuel treatment in my diesel engines as it was produced and recommended by an actual producer of injection pumps.

Last edited:
Fuel filter failure? I'm not buying it. Installer must have screwed up. That's probably why they are being so nice.

Unless they have radically changed the fuel supply method, that fuel filter should be under no more pressure than a carburetor. Simply taking the low pressure of the in tank lift pump.

Stanadyne in the summer, antigel in the winter. Fuel here can be between 5 and 20 percent bio. We got down to -22 for a few days this winter.
Originally Posted by wwillson
turbodieselfreak,

Did you run any additives in your fuel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back