Castrol vs Mobil filters

Hey Guys,

I'm in Canada & not able to go to the USA as I usually bought my oil filters from there.
I have a 2013 Subaru Crosstrek, 156K km's & having been using Purolator filters with no issue.
As Amazon is sorta the only place to get'em, Canadian Tire has both Mobil 1 (which I've used as well with no issue) & Castrol.
From quick searches, the group is unknown who exactly makes Castrol. It is slightly cheaper when on sale. Any good/bad feedback about them?
I usually go 10k per change.
Let me know if there's been any analysis or if I should just stick with Mobil.

Thanks

The Castrol filters are made by Fram. The M1 filters are now Purolator. My choice would be Castrol.

But since you have a Subaru, you're better off going to Napa and getting a Napa Platinum, or anywhere else that carries Wix and getting a Wix XP. Subaru uses an oil filter with a high bypass in their modern cars, While Fram makes the OEM Subaru filter you can get from the dealer, they don't offer an aftermarket filter with the correct Subaru-spec bypass :unsure:

Thanks for the input. I forgot about Wix mainly because so hard to find.
The Napa Platinum is $17. Please enlighten me or add a link to why this "bypass" is so important.
I'd prefer to stay away from Fram, heard bad stories on here about them, especially with their paper inside.

The Napa Platinum is $17. Please enlighten me or add a link to why this "bypass" is so important.
I'd prefer to stay away from Fram, heard bad stories on here about them, especially with their paper inside.

Subaru uses a higher flow oil pump

The worst filters seem to be Purolator. They suffer from media tearing (low-end) or ADBV tearing (high-end).

Can you give some links to those bad stories you saw on here?

Bad?
I think you mean Baldwin??

It was from years ago, as I've been off the site for a bit.
So, other than NAPA, where can you buy the NAPA filter?
Any idea where to get Wix filters? $21 on amazon, bs.
No to Castrol & Mobil filters?

Although Wix can be found at O'Reilly's in the US, the only place at retail I have found them was Benson's. They have locations in Ontario and Quebec. The filters are not listed on the web page, but the guys at my local Benson's here are super helpful and the price of the Wix spin-on can filter for my 3.8 is just about as cheap as it would be back in the States.

Wouldn't it be easier to just buy OEM Subaru filter and be done with it? Here in the States, you can order parts directly from Subaru's online store with an automatic 10% discount applied, select local dealer pick up to save shipping and unless it is a special part, you can usually pick it up the next day.

Got the filter from Napa & they gave me a 10% discount. So, actually worked out cheaper than getting the others. The Platinum filter is discontinued, so only the Gold is available. It is bigger than the Mobil-1 filter I had on it.
Yeah, no Benson close to me, so NAPA it will be.
Thanks guys!

Got the filter from Napa & they gave me a 10% discount. So, actually worked out cheaper than getting the others. The Platinum filter is discontinued, so only the Gold is available. It is bigger than the Mobil-1 filter I had on it.
Thanks guys!

Probably the same as M1

Thanks guys!

Oh yes, that’s right. I had forgotten that the Napa Gold line of filters is essentially the same as the Wix. And Napa Canada locations are more plentiful than Bensons. Glad to hear you got what you needed 👍

Back