Castrol universal ATF

some big brained people at the add co disagree. add cos like afton and lubrizol are where the talent is

Yeah...

Well CVTs are not known to be the most reliable in certain vehicles.

Mine has 345,000+ miles.... A extremely unusual circumstance.

I don't take chances on something like that.

A dedicated CVT fluid is a far more judicious choice vs a supposed "universal" ...

That’s why Molakule said, but even the original thread was locked too. Here is a discussion that takes you to the original threads, all locked.

Something peculiar is going on. I have reasons I suspect why they are getting locked but I won’t say it lol.

Other threads were locked because people weren't doing searches on the same topic and were opening new threads that were essentially discussing the same fluid.

Here is what I stated originally on June 15th, 2020:
About 9 months ago I received a brochure from Afton regarding the Hitec-3488 additive with an offer for a 1 liter can. I requested the following: a specifications sheet, a properties sheet, and a set of Mu(v) charts. I received the first two but not the third. Until I see a comprehensive set of Mu(v) charts to prove performance properties cover both CVT and step-shift wet clutches, I remain very skeptical.

In this thread https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...-conventional-automatics.328302/#post-5713805

Just to clarify, I never said it was impossible to create a fluid with these alleged performance properties [but it would be very difficult].

However, I continue to remain skeptical until I see a comprehensive set of Mu(v) charts that "proves" this fluid can suddenly "KNOW" what transmission (Step-Shift or CVT) it is operating within, transmissions that have such disparate friction modification requirements.

I’ve put this stuff in a 2015 outback and a 2018 Honda cvt about 10k ago for each and nothing wrong yet, it’s way cheaper than Subaru and Honda fluid. I don’t drive hard at all though so if you do you may want to consider the oem fluid or something cvt specific. I also used it in the transfer case of a ram 2500 and can’t notice any difference. It my not be the best but at the price point it’ll work for me.

I’ve put this stuff in a 2015 outback and a 2018 Honda cvt about 10k ago for each and nothing wrong yet, it’s way cheaper than Subaru and Honda fluid....
I hope it keeps working well for you. That said, 'I' wouldn't use it in a Honda (or Suby) CVT application or a Honda AT trans application. I've used MaxLife ATF in Honda AT applications, 2-3 hundred thousand miles with it.

With dedicated use aftermarket CVT fluids (e.g. Valvoline, Castrol) and ATFs like MaxLife Full Syn in gallon jugs, just couldn't bring myself to use one that says good for both in one fluid.

If it's working for you in your vehicles, it's a notable anecdote.

I hope it keeps working well for you. That said, 'I' wouldn't use it in a Honda (or Suby) CVT application or a Honda AT trans application. I've used MaxLife ATF in Honda AT applications, 2-3 hundred thousand miles with it.

With dedicated use aftermarket CVT fluids (e.g. Valvoline, Castrol) and ATFs like MaxLife Full Syn in gallon jugs, just couldn't bring myself to use one that says good for both in one fluid.

If it's working for you in your vehicles, it's a notable anecdote.
i Think if I ever kept my cars much past 200k I’d probably be more concerned about the fluid but I like new toys. The concerning thing for me was the noticeable improvement in low rpm performance in the subaru, I didn’t change it until 100k so I’m sure I went way to long, I got suckered into Subarus claim of lifetime fluid, the stuff I took out was black and smelled quite burnt, she’s running good now though. I wish servicing the Subaru was as easy as the Honda, it’s like Subaru engineers figured out how to make service easy and then ran in the opposite direction. Win for Honda, unless the 1.5t starts getting fuel dilution, then they be on the not buying again list but so far love the little 1.5.

Back