castrol TWS motorsport 10-60 UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
reportTWS.jpg

going to analize lubro moly's 10-60 next oil change, and we will compare!

Looks great. Nice report. The BMW Castrol oils are fairly good from the reports I've seen. Much better than the over priced Syntec we have here.

Awesome report, especially the insolubles! I'm currently a little out of touch in the BMW world, is this the M3? Regardless, what type of driving do you usually do?

its a 99 m3, highly modded.
5000 miles, has seen 280 degree oil temps at the track (enduro race) as well as sustained redline driving to las vegas from cali
-160 mph for 10 min in the desert. (7400 rpm redline at 160)

i also over reved it in a little TOO aggreesive throttle blip, blipped her on a rev match to 8100 as confirmed by my scan tool.

all this withen those 5000 miles. quite impressive with that being said, id say!

car is ALWAYS pounded on.

I would have guessed a lot less time because this looks to be highway miles. There is no fuel dilution or water and the oil did not thin out as would be the case if you had short trips in the city of less than 30 minutes driving per start up. Or does this engine always run very hot. What is your temperature driving around town, and what are the temperatures at steady highway speeds?

Some BMWs I have seen normally run at a much higher temperature than the average car.

aehaas

TWS 10w-60 adds about 10 degrees Celsius to my BMW S62 engine's normal operating temperature (compared with xw-30 or xw-40).

Since the mid-90's ALL M3 and M5 (S38, S50, S54, S62 and S85) engine thermostats are set to 79 or 80 degrees C, except the North American E36 M3 S52 engines, which are set to 88 degrees. M engines run cool unless you push them

Regardless of family, Castrol TWS tends to make them run hotter than a lower viscosity oil, perhaps a design consideration, perhaps not. It's definitely a good oil for stressful situations, but you have to put up with a hot engine when driven hard.

Cheers
JJ

bimmers motors must be tight. this car is only driven 50 miles highway a week, the rest is stop and go, cruizing and racing.

i drive it 2 miles to work every day. but i get that oil hot! i dont know the average temp, as i dont have a temp gauge, only the max temp it sees, cause i check that with our autologic and my shop. max temp was like 280 degrees.

Quote:

i drive it 2 miles to work every day. but i get that oil hot! i dont know the average temp, as i dont have a temp gauge,

But that max temp of 280 was from the track event, right? What is the oil temp after 2 miles from a cold start?

EDIT: The dealer is using this oil in my mom's V40 (2.0T). It only gets changed once a year, at 10-12k miles approximately. And that's in Poland, where they have real winters. I wish I could do a UOA on it.

i dont have an oil temp guage. i can only tell max and min temps or temps while the scan tool is hooked up.

the oil doesnt even get to 140 i would say by the time i get to work... its very close. but it gets burned good once i hit the highway!

Most of the xw-60 weight oils I've seen shear quite a bit, but this one is still in grade and the wear is fantastic. This looks to be a very well made oil.
smile.gif

Quote:

Looks great. Nice report. The BMW Castrol oils are fairly good from the reports I've seen. Much better than the over priced Syntec we have here.

Buster, Syntec is $5-7/L. This oil is $14-18/L as it is imported from the EU. Syntec is definately NOT overpriced. I've used both and for the price, the Syntec 5-50 can't be beat.

Meant to add.....

At an 8L capacity in my BMW, we're talking $130-144 per oil change with the TWS 10-60. But if my engine required it (as in the M3) I would use it.

Definately sounds like 10k is no problem at all for this oil....

i get this oil for 9 bucks a quart. i work at a shop and get wholesale prices. FYI i can get lubro moly 10-60 which im trying right now for 36 bucks a 5 litre jug. its worth it for me.

Curious why your using the 10w60 in a non-Motorsport engine? The S52 was simply a bored/stroked 2.8 M52 and doesn't need such a thick oil. I would personally run Lubro Moly 5w40, your oil temps should go down along with it. I imagine when you track you run 1/2 to a quart over the 7 quart capacity? Don't forget to weld that oil pump nut on there!

Nice looking uoa.

Highly modded as in FI? If you can get this for $9/L it's worth it imo. I hear that this oil really quietens up the vanos and valve ticking, have you noticed that?

modified as in 9000 RPM redline with cams, valves, springs,lifters, port matched, long tube headers and 3" open exhaust.

my "m52" puts out more power than an s54. 10-60 works well in it. silent vanos, but it has low miles to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back