Castrol Synthetics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice drive by. Note that Castrol often uses minimums on their data sheet (or maximums, depending on the value). Most time, the Castrol data sheets are worse than useless. That doesn't apply to their oils, though, in the least.

Castrol makes good oil. Boycotting BP does nothing but cost other Americans their job, because that money goes back into their pockets as well.

There was alot of luv/hype here not to long ago about Castrol Magnatec and it seemed there UOAs were impressive also. I have ran Castrol Edge/Syntec many times through the years and never a problem for any of the engines it was introduced to.

Dale

I liked Magnatec Semi very much. Good power preservation and reasonable F.E. This was the promotional batch of 5W30 when it just hit the shelves. Being a promo rollout It may have been overbuilt. I would do it to hook you.

Put in Magnatec "Syn" and the power preservation went away. No more High RPM torque capability.

I attribute this to HTHS and KV100 as blended (this batch).

Syn really good cold semi not too very good at cold start ( typ -15C)

YOUR batch may vary.
... b.c. BATCHES vary.

Castrol Magnatec FS 5w30 has worked well in both of my vehicles. I was going to use the Pensoil Platinum for my next oil changes but I'm a little nervous about the goop.

Originally Posted By: TheLawnRanger
Castrol Magnatec FS 5w30 has worked well in both of my vehicles. I was going to use the Pensoil Platinum for my next oil changes but I'm a little nervous about the goop.

Trust me I've used Pennzoil off and on for the last 6 plus years. It was the first full synthetic I used in my Corolla. Just like millions of other people I've had zero issues with it. Just find it on sale and get your rebate!

https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/1C7751EBB458734080258289005D7D3E/$File/BPXE-AYTG7Q.pdf

This is going to be my next oil. The 3 has only had Mobil 1 0w20 and now has 52,500 miles on it. I like the lower NOACK of the Edge 0w20, which used to be 13%. This updated SN Plus formulation looks very good. Castrol has been using a similar additivy system to Mobil since around 2012. I like the TBN retention of Edge over the Mobil 1 product.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Castrol synthetic might as well be conventional except for their 0W-30 and 0W-40, which have a significant slug (25-50%) of PAO. The rest of their stuff is sub-par from everything I can gather. I would pick M1 or Pennzoil any day over non-0W Castrol.
I agree, never been impressed with their non Made in Germany/Belgian stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back