Castrol Synthetics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upon looking at the PDS for Castrol synthetics, their oils seem to be worse or equal to conventional motor oils. Very high MRV numbers, and relatively low VI. Compare it to PUP or QSUD, VI is in the 170s and very low MRV ~4000 (cP). Of course you have to realize that -35c is reaching the pour point of most oils, so the average user will never experience these extremes, but overall I'm not impressed.

Castrol EDGE High Mileage 5w-30:
Density @ 15C, Relative ASTM D4052 g/ml 0.856
Appearance Visual - Clear & Bright
Viscosity, Kinematic 100C ASTM D445 mm²/s 11.3
Viscosity, CCS -30C ASTM D5293 mPa.s (cP) 6200
Pour Point ASTM D97 °C -39
Viscosity, MRV / Yield Stress -35C (5W) ASTM D4684 mPa.s (cP) 35000
Viscosity, Kinematic 40C ASTM D445 mm²/s 67.2
Viscosity Index ASTM D2270 None 159
Noack Volatility ASTM D5800 % Loss 10.0
Flash Point, PMCC ASTM D93 °C 220

Mobile Super 5w-30:
API Service Classification SN
Gravity, API 32.9
Specific Gravity 0.8607
Pour Point, °C (°F) -36(-33)
Flash Point, °C (°F), ASTM D 92 221(430)
Viscosity
cSt at 40°C 63.95
cSt at 100°C 10.7
CCS, cP 6,080 @ -30ºC
MRV, cP 26,800 @ -35ºC
Viscosity Index 158

Last edited:
Castrol synthetic might as well be conventional except for their 0W-30 and 0W-40, which have a significant slug (25-50%) of PAO. The rest of their stuff is sub-par from everything I can gather. I would pick M1 or Pennzoil any day over non-0W Castrol.

Completely agree! In my pickup their oils gave me horrible start up noise and also when hot my engine sounded like a sewing machine! Won't touch them to this day!

Running Castrol MAGNATEC 5W/30 in my wife's 2014 Elantra. Had a great UOA and engine very quiet at startup.
I think it is the intelligent molecules in MAGNATEC.
According to Castrol:
THE INTELLEGENT MOLECULES:
Cling to critical engine parts when the oil drains down
Add a layer of protection during warm-up and beyond
Dramatically reduce engine wear
Leave critical engine parts 4X smoother

Hey works for me
grin.gif

I run Mobil 1 0w40 in my SLK, but am going to try Castrol 0w40 next oil change. I hear they use Titanium.

After just 4K I noticed the clinging molecules worked so good we had a black corn dog for a dipstick …
And under the cap? Heck, looked like the Louisiana shorelines in 2010 …

I've done multiple UOA's with Castrol Edge 5w20 EP and M1 of various flavors and they're so close to each other there is really no difference at all. Also, I do notice Castrol gets darker faster for whatever reason, I just attribute that to its cleaning ability.

KJ Smith may beg to differ, he’s had lots of terrific UOAs using Magnatec in Ecoboost trucks. And I quit getting excited over VI numbers. In fact, to me at least, the oils with lower VI#s also have lower NOACK #s. All oils nowadays are pretty good, conventional included. The line between conventional, syn blends and full syn are getting pretty slim....

Originally Posted By: Dylan1303
Ive never been a fan of castrol. Arnt they still cleaning up bp’s oil spill?

Who cares.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Originally Posted By: Dylan1303
Ive never been a fan of castrol. Arnt they still cleaning up bp’s oil spill?

Who cares.

I would really like to see you come down here to Bayou Lafourche and tell these shrimpers that! I have a cousin that lives down there and shrimping is his livelihood. He is 4th generation, but barely. When the BP oil spill happened it brought the family business to its knees!
Now, I think BP has done A LOT to mend the fence about the situation. No, it will never be the same, but it sure is better today then it was a few years ago.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
KJ Smith may beg to differ, he’s had lots of terrific UOAs using Magnatec in Ecoboost trucks. And I quit getting excited over VI numbers. In fact, to me at least, the oils with lower VI#s also have lower NOACK #s. All oils nowadays are pretty good, conventional included. The line between conventional, syn blends and full syn are getting pretty slim....

This ^
Especially now where d1G2 has brought everyone closer together.

Thanks BlueOval fitter! As a life long resident of Bayou Lafourche, we are still feeling the effects of the spill and remarks like those made by Skyactiv and such are upsetting. Anyhow, who is your cousin, the shrimper?

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
Thanks BlueOval fitter! As a life long resident of Bayou Lafourche, we are still feeling the effects of the spill and remarks like those made by Skyactiv and such are upsetting. Anyhow, who is your cousin, the shrimper?

I'm sure you know who Southern Foodways Alliance is, right? On my moms side (my step mom) her nephew through marriage before my dad, Robert Collins, owns SFA. He's 3rd generation and is passing the business onto his son, Robert Jr. I have only met them a couple of times, but still acknowledge them as part of my family.
I know, it's long distance, but family is still family. And, I still care about ALL of the shrimping industry down there. Those people work VERY HARD!

I sure do know Robert. He lives in Grand Isle, his daughter, Joanna, is married to one of my good friends. Robert and my mom went to high school together.

Last edited:
I sure do know Robert. He lives in Grand Isle, his daughter, Joanna, is married to one of my good friends. Robert and my mom went to high school together.

Small world, isn't it?
I met them years ago. We used to have a boat slip at CIGARS MARINA on Grand Isle. My parents would go down there to fish the months November-February and I would go every now and then. We had a 24' SEARAY and a 19' WELLCRAFT.
Anyway, we would stop in sometimes to visit, or see them on the island. Like I said, it's been awhile.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Anyhow, who is your cousin, the shrimper?

Bubba Gump

I really don't need a vacation right now.
smirk.gif

mobilaltima, how long has it been since CIGARS has been gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back