Castrol Syntec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Winston:

Castrol's continued double-speak when asked about the Syntec line is, to me, sufficient evidence that the product is still G-III. With all the heat they've taken over this, I can't imagine why, if they had switched back to a PAO base, they would not have made a big deal about having done so. I last emailed them maybe a year ago and got the same double speak as when I wrote them a letter when I first found out about the switch. This time, though, I did not get a coupon for a free quart of Syntec. . . New member "FlyLow", who posted above, apparently contacted Castrol more recently than I have. The response he quoted has Group-III written all over it. In part, it reads, "Synthetic processing uses select crude components that are chemically converted to create molecules that are different from the starting material. Synthetic processing rearranges, builds up and breaks apart molecules." That would be a roundabout way of saying hydrocracked, i.e. Group-III oil.

Well, all that info made me want to get an oil change. Got the sure thing this time Amsoil 5w30 High Performance.

Or you could get a group III or group IV on sale...
Are you running a stock engine with reasonable OCI's under the normal everyday driving conditions?
Then I don't see any reason for Amsoil since your engine won't really benefit from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back