Castrol Syntec 5W50 SM VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
e69399-001.jpg

This oil looks a lot different than prior samples I've seen. This sample appears to be a newer formula with much more ZDDP and Magnesium and less Calcium.

Originally Posted By: SIXSPEED
This sample appears to be a newer formula with much more ZDDP and Magnesium and less Calcium.

If I recall correctly, this is one of the oils specified for the new Ford GT500. I'm sure with these levels of ZDDP, we're going to see catalytic converters strewn all about the junkyards.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak

I'm sure with these levels of ZDDP, we're going to see catalytic converters strewn all about the junkyards.
wink.gif

Surely you jest!

If I recall correctly, this is one of the oils specified for the new Ford GT500. I'm sure with these levels of ZDDP, we're going to see catalytic converters strewn all about the junkyards.
wink.gif

It would not have been this formula making that claim.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

I'm sure with these levels of ZDDP, we're going to see catalytic converters strewn all about the junkyards.
wink.gif

Surely you jest!

Yes, I do. I don't believe oil burning is great for a cat, regardless how low the P content is.

It would not have been this formula making that claim.

It was making that claim on their website, and was certainly not the SN version.

This 5w-50 Castrol Syntec, SM and Castrol Edge with Syntec, SN synthetic oil is on clearance at Kmart for $6.00 a quart.

Still a steep price for a HDEO.

However, this VOA from Bob Fout shows the SM which has a strong add pack I wonder what the SN shows?

This may be a delayed post, but if anyone is interested in this oil, Kmart is having a sale on it at 3.99 a quart until 2/8 on the 5w50 SM version.

It's a thick oil, i don't know what i'd do with it. I don't like blending different brands / weights.

I saw the $3.99 deal but walked right by it since it's useless to me.

Originally Posted By: JasonC
I just picked up 11qts of Syntec for $2 qt. today @Kmart.

I got the last 4 quarts at my Kmart for $1 each. Now I don't know what to do with them!
eek.gif
The price was too good to pass up. Maybe I'll just blend 2 qts with 2 qts of GTX 5W-20.

They are reformulating this into the new 5W50 Edge with Syntec. This will be a higher ZDDP engine oil aimed at "antique" engine cars that have higher spring rates and flat tappett cams, which makes it perfect for my 1985 Toyota Land Cruiser.

This was part of my conversation with one of their online chat "techs"..
greg: I have a 1985 toyota Land Cruiser with a flat tappet engine. Is there a specific product you have that is formulated with higher ZDDP% for these "antique" engines?

AL: Castrol EDGE with Syntec Power Technology (SPT) SAE 5W-50 has been recently reformulated to have a boosted level of ZDDP (1300 ppm) to help protect flat tappet cam engines in classic cars. This engine oil is a full synthetic, has excellent cold temperature properties, and has a high temperature viscosity (SAE 50) that is suitable for use in many classic car applications.

Originally Posted By: JavierG
Originally Posted By: JasonC
I just picked up 11qts of Syntec for $2 qt. today @Kmart.

I got the last 4 quarts at my Kmart for $1 each. Now I don't know what to do with them!
eek.gif
The price was too good to pass up. Maybe I'll just blend 2 qts with 2 qts of GTX 5W-20.

That blend will still give you as heavy 30wt or even a light 40wt oil.
If you want a light 5W-30 I'd blend three 20wt qts to one of the 5W-50.

Originally Posted By: Sillicon
Is the Moly high enough to preclude use in bikes?

I know a few here that are using it in their Harleys with no issues.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cycleman

Harley big twins don't share fluids,so any automotive oil in the right flavour will work in a Harley. The sporty shares fluids between the primary and tranny,but the engine is separate so a high moly oil will not do it any harm.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Harley big twins don't share fluids,so any automotive oil in the right flavour will work in a Harley. The sporty shares fluids between the primary and tranny,but the engine is separate so a high moly oil will not do it any harm.

They are running it in the primaries as well and transmissions. If you look at a Mob 1 Vtwin oil the moly content is high and many use it in all three holes on a Harley. Many other oils ( diesel ) that folks use have fairly high levels of moly with no issues. Same with the Mob 1 10-40 which many use in shared sumps.

The Harleys which are a flat tappet engine ( same as BMW airheads & oilheads and a few others ) all require fairly high levels of zinc in order for them to survive. That always has been the main issue when using a none motorcycle spec oil in a flat tappet engine. The cut off seems to be anything over 1200 ppm zinc is OK.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

They are running it in the primaries as well and transmissions. If you look at a
Mob 1 Vtwin oil the moly content is high and many use it in all three holes on a Harley. Many other oils ( diesel ) that folks use have fairly high levels of moly with no issues. Same with the Mob 1 10-40 which many use in shared sumps.

The Harleys which are a flat tappet engine ( same as BMW airheads & oilheads and a few others ) all require fairly high levels of zinc in order for them
to survive. That always has been the main issue when using a none motorcycle spec oil in a flat tappet engine. The cut off seems to be anything over 1200 ppm zinc is OK.

I am pretty sure there is no moly or friction modifiers whatsoever in any v-twin oils. The 15w-50has some though.
As far as the Harley 6 speed trannies go they are prone to bearing failure which seems to be negated using red-line shock proof heavy.
As far as the primary goes only an idiot would use a non jaso rated fluid
Other guys can use whatever they want in their bikes,they get to pay the bill upon failure.
My bike has 107hp/115tq and I have no clutch slip using rotella conventional in my primary. Stock clutch too. And that includes burn outs til explosion on dead rear tires.
My tranny has no clunk and is quiet as a church mouse using shockproof heavy.

If you look at a VOA of Mobil 1 20-50 Vtwin or 10-40 ( both JASO spec ) they do have moly but no friction modifiers. Same if you look at a diesel 15-40 it has moly and this particular oil is recommended by HD if you are caught in a pinch and can't get the oil that they recommend for any of the 3 holes, which is a dino 20-50. Twin cam engines 88, 96, and up.

There is nothing unique about a HD engine, primary or transmission ( other than having roller bearings ) that precludes one from using just about any oil as long as it is in the right weight for the ambient temps. The HD primary is really no different than motorcycles with shared sumps, you have to stay away with friction modifiers because of the wet clutch. There is nothing in the HD engine or transmission that would preclude somebody from using an oil with friction modifiers as long as the weight was proper for the ambient temps.

On a BMW motorcycle site I follow, I recently saw a set of virgin VOA's from about 10 different 20-50's ( for motorcycle use ), one 15-50, a couple of Amsoil products and a 15-40 diesel oil, Harleys 20-50 dino, some dino & some sync. The zinc & phosphorus levels varied between the various oils but all of them exceeded the 1200 ppm zinc levels that BMW recommended for its air cooled flat tappet engines. HD is also a flat tappet engine, with roller bearings instead of the plain bearings found in an air cooled BMW motorcycle.

So in a nutshell any of the oils tested would work fine in any air cooled flat tappet engine, which a HD is. The SN version of Castrol Syntec 5-50 has 1300 PPM of zinc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back