Castrol Syntec 5W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
The MSDS says its amber in color. So no green.
tongue.gif

I'm bumping this thread since I just bought a case of this stuff. From all of the research I've done, a group III is A3/B3 rated, whereas a group IV is A3/B4 rated and is considered long life. I'm no expert so please correct me if I'm wrong. The BC is an A3/B4 oil and really looks identical in manufactor's approvals to the GC. It also has the BMW long life rating. My bet is that this stuff is just as good as the GC except a little thicker. BTW, the only other A3/B4 otc oils in the US that I could find are Mobil 0w-40 and the 76/Kendall 5w-40 full syn.

quote:

Originally posted by glxpassat:
I'm bumping this thread since I just bought a case of this stuff. From all of the research I've done, a group III is A3/B3 rated, whereas a group IV is A3/B4 rated and is considered long life.

The base oil used (Group III or IV) has nothing to do with the ACEA rating of an oil. A3 is a gasoline extended drain spec. B3 and B4 are diesel extended drain specs.

I was just going by a comment I read by Tooslick where he said the B4 rating was the thing to look for to identify the best oils on the market. I assumed that meant a group IV.

quote:

I was just going by a comment I read by Tooslick where he said the B4 rating was the thing to look for to identify the best oils on the market. I assumed that meant a group IV.

B4 is the best if you need an oil that meets the toughest European extended drain requirements for automotive diesel engines (like the BMW V8 diesels used in the 7 series), otherwise the rating is irrelevant. A3 is the toughest extended drain spec for gasoline engines (though most all A3 rated oils will also be rated B3/B4).

What TS was getting at is that an A3 oil that is also B3/B4 is going to have the most robust additive package of any oil save dedicated diesel oils (like Castrol's Elixion).

quote:

B4 is the best if you need an oil that meets the toughest European extended drain requirements for automotive diesel engines (like the BMW V8 diesels used in the 7 series), otherwise the rating is irrelevant

Please bare with me here cause I'm learning. So if B4 is the toughest euro spec, could a group III/non PAO oil meet that? What I was trying to nail down here, is the question at the begining of the thread as to whether BC is a group III or IV oil. I thought it would have to be a IV to meet that spec. But I certainly could be wrong...

BTW, I read castrolcanada's descrption of GC and they refered to it as a wintertime oil where extra pumpability is needed. Maybe it's green because it has a little Prestone in it.
wink.gif

[ February 16, 2004, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: glxpassat ]

quote:

quote:

B4 is the best if you need an oil that meets the toughest European extended drain requirements for automotive diesel engines (like the BMW V8 diesels used in the 7 series), otherwise the rating is irrelevant

Please bare with me here cause I'm learning. So if B4 is the toughest euro spec, could a group III/non PAO oil meet that? What I was trying to nail down here, is the question at the begining of the thread as to whether BC is a group III or IV oil. I thought it would have to be a IV to meet that spec. But I certainly could be wrong...

BTW, I read castrolcanada's descrption of GC and they refered to it as a wintertime oil where extra pumpability is needed. Maybe it's green because it has a little Prestone in it.
wink.gif

As I said, you can't determine the base oil used by the ACEA rating. A B4 oil could be built that has Group III in it.

Based on the MSDS that was posted for the Castrol 5w40, it has PAO in it.

I agree...ACEA rating has nothing to do with the Base oil per se (however a conventional will never be an A3).

The only problem I have is that if you look at Castrol Euro website, the only 5-40 listed is the Magnatec (or Duratec?) which is a HC (Hydrocracked) oil - as they're required to differenciate in Europe...whereas here they call it synthetic.

Not that this is a knock against the oil...I may try it after the current run of BMW 0-40.

I checked back on the 5w-40 MSDS and the date for it was Jan 21, 2002. I would probably try some if I could find it.
smile.gif

Les

DR T, I think it is although they have three 5w-40's that I posted in another thread . Heres the translation :

HIGHTEC LEICHTLAUFOEL FOR MANY DRIVERS Castrol GTX7 DYNATEC, the SAE 5W-40 HIGHTEC Leichtlaufoel, particularly developed for strongly stressed passenger car petrol and Diesel engines. A HIGHTEC Leichtlaufoel for long oil change intervals and demanding use on the motorway and in the short-distance traffic. Castrol GTX7 DYNATEC offers very good launch characteristics and a safe protection from wear. Castrol GTX7 DYNATEC · SAE 5W-40 · exceeds API SL/CF please here · ACEA A3/B3/B4 · Volkswagen standards 502 00/505 00 · BMW LongLife-98 · MT 229,3 · Porsche release clicking you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back