Castrol Syntec 0W30 labels..... What's going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in the AutoZOne in Grand Junction, CO on Wednesday. They had Castrol Syntec 0W30 with both a RED label and a YELLOW label. Neither said "MADE IN GERMANY", in fact they both said something about being made or blended in the US and it is not to be sold outside of North America. Neither was imported from anywhere.They both had an A3 cert.

Anybody have any idea of what's going on here? I was planning on picking up some red label MADE IN GERMANY CS 0W30.

DEWFPO

The old, old 0W-30 was made in USA and has a yellow label. The old 0W-30 has a red label but is made in USA. Both should be very dusty.

The good stuff, GC 0W-30 has the same red label, no starburst symbol on the front. Also It says made in Germany on the back.

A serch wil provide you with proper pictures. Also you may have to dig around in the stack to find the GC. Check different Autozones in your area. It seems all new deliveries are all GC

DEWFPO,

The easiest way I've found to spot the difference is to look at the front label and notice the background color where the viscosity is listed.

If 0w-30 has a yellow background it is the old stuff. If it has a red background it is probably the German stuff so look on the back label for Made in Germany. It has been scarce here in UT but I've snagged 20 quarts so far.

The entire Syntec line has new cosmetics on the Label and the GC matches the other new front labels. I have not seen an A3 rating on the yellow label 0w-30 nor have I seen the red 0w-30 that was made in the US.

Good Hunting

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by DEWFPO:
I was in the AutoZOne in Grand Junction, CO on Wednesday. They had Castrol Syntec 0W30 with both a RED label and a YELLOW label. Neither said "MADE IN GERMANY", in fact they both said something about being made or blended in the US and it is not to be sold outside of North America. Neither was imported from anywhere.They both had an A3 cert.

Anybody have any idea of what's going on here? I was planning on picking up some red label MADE IN GERMANY CS 0W30.

DEWFPO

I wonder if you smelled either oil because the German stuff has a unique smell to it....like alcohol. There is always a chance that Castrol might be packaging the GC stuff in the USA bottle
Rick

I think more confusion has yet to come. From all of the complaints and questions regarding this oil, new bottles might emerge and maybe one product that is A3 rated! Imagine that!
rolleyes.gif

You're probably seeing the last of the U.S. made 0-30 (I've seen these too)...just before they started importing and selling the German one...

DEWFPO, I was in an Autozone over the weekend and I checked the Castrol Syntec and I was confused as you are. I'm pretty sure I've found German Castrol before ... but these labels looked different ... both front and back.

I looked at all the different weights including 0W30 and NONE said "Made in Germany" on them.
dunno.gif

'Lude Dude, Some Preludes are serious oil burners. I don't think nuttin's gonna change that.
frown.gif

--- Bror Jace

That's good to hear...that's why I didn't want to try it in my car. You want reduced consumption, try Delvac 1 or another synth. 5-40 or even Syntec 5-50 reduced my consumption by over 50% over M-1 0-40.

Yeah I know that Preludes burn oil, and the M1 0w40 did reduce my consumption.. was hoping since the GC is very close to a 40w it would also resist burning but I guess the extra 1.5? Cst does make a difference.
dunno.gif

I looked at some at my local AZone tonight. Red behind the 0W-30, "Made in Germany" on the back, but it says For sale only in north america, or something like that. Is this the real deal?

quote:

Originally posted by 01GTB:
I looked at some at my local AZone tonight. Red behind the 0W-30, "Made in Germany" on the back, but it says For sale only in north america, or something like that. Is this the real deal?

Yep, if it says made in Germany, it's the right one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back