Castrol Import multi-vehicle atf = Castrol Syntec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if the Import multi-vehicle atf is what Castrol use to call Syntec full synthetic Dex III? I know they say on their site that the Domestic mult-vehicle fluid is what they use to call Dex III.

Nope, don't think so (Import ATF = Dexron III).

Dexron III is a rather old spec that no longer holds for most recently made imports, citing the need for a blended limited-slip ATF fluid for modern A/T boxes such as Aisin-Warner JWS-3309, (Toyota T-IV), or Honda Type-Z fluid(except CVTs).

Also: it's not full-syn from what I can tell, could be syn-blend but at the end, I don't give a dime about what made is it. Afterall: it did very well on my wifey's 04 Camry LE trannie flush (drain-n-fill) and that resolved the proper shifting sensation and all the computer-controlled shift patterns are back to normal again.

To my understanding, this is equivalent to Mobil ATF-3309 (which is spec'ed for JWS-3309), or Esso ATF-3309.

Domestic is DexIII

Import is definitely not their Syntec. Syntec was never a uni/multi ATF

Syntec Dex/Merc ATF was lame and a short-lived product.

I debated back and forth over the Import MultiVehicle and the High Mileage. I went with the high mileage...

Okay. I figured they may have changed it like they did with the regular Dex III when GM revoked the dex III licenses. I've heard people around here refer to Import as synthetic but I haven't seen any evidence that it is synthetic.

The evidence that it might be synthetic, or at least a high synthetic blend, is in it's flash point which is higher than Castrol's other ATF's and getting near to other known synthetic ATFs. Here:

1) Castrol Import multi: 208C
2) Castrol Domestic multi: 177C
3)Asmoil full synthetic ATF: 243C
4)Schaeffer's ALL-Tran Supreme (synthetic): 218C

Rumple

Originally Posted By: brian12
I've heard people around here refer to Import as synthetic but I haven't seen any evidence that it is synthetic.

So I found an MSDS sheet for the Syntec Dex III and the flash point is 442 F(228 C). Seeing as how the Import multi-vehicle fluid has a flash of 406 F(208 C) they are not the same fluid. Its to bad Castrol doesn't offer the Syntec Dex III anymore. I'd like to give it a try.

I have a data sheet for DexronIII Syntec with a flash point of 352F(180c), 7.3cst@100c, 13000cP @-40c dated June2002 Rev1.

Transynd is what Syntec ATF should've been. 455F flash, 7.3cst, 8400cP@-40

Originally Posted By: unDummy
I have a data sheet for DexronIII Syntec with a flash point of 352F(180c), 7.3cst@100c, 13000cP @-40c dated June2002 Rev1.

Transynd is what Syntec ATF should've been. 455F flash, 7.3cst, 8400cP@-40

If you go on WM's site you can find a MSDS for Syntec that states the flash is 442 F. I believe the date on the data sheet is 7/21/2003.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back