Castrol import in transfer case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will Castrol import atf work in a gm transfer case calling for Dex 3? It says on the packaging it meets Dex 3 and many other specs. The data sheet says it's 8 CST. So it's not a low viscosity fluid like maxlife.

Part time or all wheel drive case?

I use Castrol Dex/Merc in my part time case. The import should be fine too.

Last edited:
Is this the GM transfer case with the dash mounted dial. If so it is a Magna Power Train transfer case and it takes Dex 6, not Dex 3.

91DA640A-6FAA-4962-BCD7-3A88CC4BA039.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by chilson450
It would be going in an 2004 AWD Escalade.

Ok. I was looking at the bottom of your page. Yes, it was Dex 3, but you might ask your dealer because your transmission was back spec'd to Dex 6 but not sure about your AWD transfer case. As above, Castrol Dec Merc will work.

B0398E75-4AA7-4BA5-955A-51FBFD88A19E.jpeg

Originally Posted by dlundblad
A Blazer with the AWD transfer case of that vintage would require a special AC Delco fluid.

If you mean the automatic transfer case, yes, it would need Auto Trac II, which GM still sells. It's the blue stuff, nicknamed Smurf Oil. Once again, I recommend the OP ask the dealer. The owners manual did not mention AWD specifically.

The Blazer owners manual did not mention the AWD also, but did mention the Automatic transfer case. It's the one that has a setting called "auto" which will only go into 4WD when it senses slippage. That manual confirmed Autotrac II for it.

7502025A-CB4C-499C-ACB7-A0D383485CAA.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back