Castrol GTX Ultraclean

I always run Castrol GTX Ultraclean 5w30 conventional in a certain truck of mine. I always get it from the same place.

I see now it is labelled as a synthetic blend and I am not sure if the old conventional is still available elsewhere or not.

Call me crazy but with things like oils and such I usually like to pick a product and stick with that product.

Was the conventional line discontinued, or is it the same stuff, or something else?

I am no oil expert. Guessing this is a new cert that the oil in question now needs to conform to?

Most 5w30 conventional oils have been a blend for a while, it's just been over the last couple years they have started marking the bottles as blends. So it's highly likely your last couple changes were a blend.

So it sounds like the "conventional" label was just changed to "synthetic blend"? And that would mean finding "conventional" GTX Ultraclean wouldn't be possible these days?

So it sounds like the "conventional" label was just changed to "synthetic blend"? And that would mean finding "conventional" GTX Ultraclean wouldn't be possible these days?
Exactly, and it’s been synblend for a while now. There’s a VOA of the newer GTX, you can find it and compare to the older one to see if anything has changed dramatically. From what I remember, it’s still loaded with tons of detergents

Update. Here it is, folks suggest it’s the same pack with an updated base oil. I’d use it without any doubts https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/castrol-gtx-ultraclean-5w30-voa.275845/

Exactly, and it’s been synblend for a while now. There’s a VOA of the newer GTX, you can find it and compare to the older one to see if anything has changed dramatically. From what I remember, it’s still loaded with tons of detergents

Update. Here it is, folks suggest it’s the same pack with an updated base oil. I’d use it without any doubts https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/castrol-gtx-ultraclean-5w30-voa.275845/
Thanks for the response. That is why I use it - for the detergents. Had a cracked cylinder head when I bought the vehicle, which contaminated the oil with dex-cool causing a lumpy black sludge. The GTX has done a great job cleaning sludge IMO without being too extreme like an engine flush would.

Are you sure that you've been using GTX Ultraclean and not GTX? GTX is still manufactured according to their site. An old tread dating back to 2017 on BITOG show that Ultraclean is semi-syn and that the packaging between the two are very similar.

Are you sure that you've been using GTX Ultraclean and not GTX? GTX is still manufactured according to their site. An old tread dating back to 2017 on BITOG show that Ultraclean is semi-syn and that the packaging between the two are very similar.

Yes, positive on the Ultraclean.

GTX Ultraclean 0W20, 5W20 and 5W30 have been blends for about a year now.

GTX Conventional is 10W30 and 10W40

Some oils have a split personality. I know it's an HDEO but Mobil Delvac 1300 doesn't say anything about being a blend on the bottle but is listed as a blend on the Mobil Website.

Almost everything that meets SN is likely at least partly a blend. I believe Ultraclean has always been a blend, though it was not marked that way at first. It may have more syn in it now than initially who knows.

In Oz we get conventional GTX 20W50, plus semi-synthetic GTX UltraClean 15W40 (SN/CF, A3/B3) and 10W30 (SN, GF-5). It’s been this way for a few years now.

I’ve used the UltraClean 15W40 a fair bit, as it’s often at very good prices and regularly on sale.

BTW here is a 5000 mile UOA of the USA GTX UltraClean 5W30 from last year, it looks great

When the new GTX UltraClean came out in Australia (late 2016) I picked a flyer that says the new semi-synthetic UltraClean is 50% cleaner "compared with API SN Seq. VG Sludge test limit". In reality I would assume that many other name brand SN & GF-5 oils would beat this limit by a decent amount. However the older mineral GTX beat it by 25% according to Castrol, so this is a decent improvement.

Back