Castrol GTX SG rated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine has gallons of this in her garage; I told her not to use it for her car (new) or even for her cub cadet. She offered me the lot.

Would this be ok for my 1992 caprice? I am just finishing the 1st arx cycle and the car calls for SG oil. I'm figuring a 305 needs pretty modest requirements for oil It is not a daily driver.

Like an idiot I gave away 12 qts of mobil SJ prior to purchasing the caprice because I thought I'd never need it.

Should I just recycle it right out of the original container?

Use it, If the containers are all sealed, use it. That oil might have a decent amount of molly. Just give it a good shake before you use it.

I added one quart of 1984 SF rated oil to my car a few months ago and it survived. As long as your owner's manual says SG is okay to use, you should be fine... for peace of mind, maybe just use a quart or two at a time in mostly new oil when you do an oil change.

Virgin motor oil in sealed containers is good "indefinitely" when stored at human tolerant ambient conditions according to all the MSDSs I've looked up. We're not talking raw meat or fresh produce, here. Shoot, at least as recently as 2003, Hyundai still listed SG motor oils as acceptable service fill according to my Sonata owner's manual. (So far the engine hasn't gagged on the SM TropArtic I'm running through it, though...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back