Castrol GTX Magnatec

In the UK we have three product lines for Castrol engine oil. Castrol GTX then Castrol Magnatec and then Castrol Edge.

I don't understand why the US has a product called GTX Magnatec

Because they are devaluing Magnatec, putting it with their syn-blends here. so it doesn't detract from their other full synthetic Edge lines. They offer Magnatec at less than 16£ here...

Originally Posted by Bailes1992
In the UK we have three product lines for Castrol engine oil. Castrol GTX then Castrol Magnatec and then Castrol Edge.

I don't understand why the US has a product called GTX Magnatec

I'm guessing it's due to Magnatec being majority GroupII+ and Edge is Group III? That may be why Magnatec is aligned with GTX... I dunno.

Being I had it flip oxidized in just 3k in a Pentastar … have to wonder.
Glad it's working for some, but I'll never get near it again.

Originally Posted by Loobit
Any oil that claims it clings to parts uses ester. Synerlec from Royal Purple is marketed to do the same thing. Magnatec and Synerlec are might be the same additives for all we know.

Nope Synerlec is a sulfur compound, has acidification issue and wont meet API certs.

Look at old RP VOA and the astounding PPM Sulfur in the oils with synerlec.

Starbust RP look just like the old, inexpensive NAPA Synthetic

Though they may have JUST changed the formulation .

Last edited:
Loved Magnatec 0w20. Price was good and it was what I started with on my car 300,000 miles ago. Granted I moved on since then but for daily driving and stop and go ruitine ; this is the oil. Someone on this board got to speak to someone who knew alot about Magnatec from Castrol. Their 0w20 is their unicorn with only group 3 & 5.

Back