Castrol GTX MAGNATEC 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: jgscott
What would be the Pros and Cons of this Castro Dexos license vs PP Dexos license full sys in 5w-30 for a GDI Turbo motor?

The PP would probably end up being even cheaper than the Castrol if you get the rebate.
I don't know much about the d1G2 Castrol, but we did have a discussion about d1G2 PP vs. Pennzoil Gold a while back (the Gold does not get the rebate!).
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4549199/1

I'm thinking that's a big if.

Not so sharp at reading all those category meanings in the link chart. So does that say the PP Gold has the d1G2? Or good enough that it does not need it?

Originally Posted By: jgscott
Not so sharp at reading all those category meanings in the link chart. So does that say the PP Gold has the d1G2? Or good enough that it does not need it?

Pennzoil Platinum and Gold 5W30s are both d1G2. The Gold is marketed as a blend (many d1G2 oils are blends), I gave it a try after a couple years of using M1 products because I was impressed by some of the properties shown in the thread (CCS and MRV results in particular are quite good for a 5W30 and I'd suspect it didn't miss hitting 0W30 specs by much) and I couldn't find d1G2 M1 0W30 AFE, which I was interested in trying. Not sure if I will use it again, have some time to decide before my next change.

Originally Posted By: TheOilWizard
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Current Fill in my Rogue

This oil has been gabbed about all over this forum. The Semi syn showed stellar wear #s on for turbo engine(s) - if that means anything to you. The Synthetic IIRC has been AVERAGE.

My experience was (on the picky qr25DE Nissan motor):
The Semi syn Magnetec was a superb fair-weather oil, but the synthetic did NOT allow my engine to make high rpm ppower/torque for whatever reason (likely high shear, low-ish viscosity.

The best oil for warm season Ive run ( last summer) is 10w30 QSUD NON DEXOS - - BY FAR!

I will not run Maggy Syn again - until I forget I said that in the distant future
smile.gif

The QR25DE is a picky engine? Please explain that. And perhaps define picky.

If you were unable to get proper power out of the engine, I think you may have had other issues.
Nope it was the oil. Picky? Engine will detune at the drop of a hat. This 4 will make more HP than a mid 80's 5.0 HO Ford. Too bad its tied to a lossy slush box.
Nowe, I bet Few here use their engine at the upper torque peak and I would also imagine so most don't comprehend what I'm talking about.

I wasn't going to pick-up an extra 5-at jug today while in Wal-Mart today, and I see that in my area they pushed price from $17.88 to $21.97. Substantial price increases on other oils too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back