Castrol GTX in can

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was digging through my father-inlwas garage and found some 20w-50 GTX in 1 litre cans that is has a SE-CC API rating. Any of you experts know how old this stuff is? Just curious really, I might use it in my 72 MGB since it was free.

BTW...some more info, there is two seperate requirements on the top of the can, one is for GM and it reads 6136m, and the other is for a Ford spec, and they are m2c153a + mil-l-46152. Help me solve this one guys.

Oil does have somewhat of a shelf life and if it's in a can it's a minimum of 20 years old at this point. I remember my dad using canned GTX in the 80s. I would not run it in the MGB, if you like the car, but instead sell it on ebay for a profit to some oil can collector.

quote:

Originally posted by xtrford:
Just curious really, I might use it in my 72 MGB since it was free.

Can you get me one of those free MGB's?

Seriously the post about shelf life is a concern, and I would not put it in the car. There is really not much wrong with the API rating of oil. It is too heavy unless temperatures never cool off at all though. I would keep it as a collector item. I poured many a can when I worked in my father's garage in the 60's. Can't really remember when oil went to plastic bottles. Later 70's??

I looked it up: API SE rating ran from 1972 through 1979, API SF began in 1980.
shocked.gif
That's very old oil, & I wouldn't want to chance it in my car.
cheers.gif

Shelf life? How long was that stuff in the ground? I'd use it a quart at a time mixed with whatever I'm changing oil with.

quote:

Originally posted by jimcor:
Shelf life? How long was that stuff in the ground? I'd use it a quart at a time mixed with whatever I'm changing oil with.

GTX is $2 a quart. 30 year old unopened oil cans are worth more than $2 to a collector. Those cans weren't designed to preserve the contents for 30 years either.

I did pour a couple quarts of SF oil from 1984 (plastic bottle) into my car a few months back, mixed in with newer oil. Didn't seem to harm anything, though perhaps a UOA would've shown different wear rates than usual.

quote:

Originally posted by xtrford:
I was digging through my father-inlwas garage and found some 20w-50 GTX in 1 litre cans that is has a SE-CC API rating. Any of you experts know how old this stuff is?

This link if it is accurate states SE was current from 1972-79. Is you can metal or paper? I recall that we had metal cans, then foil lined paper cans with metal tops and bottoms, and then plastic bottles. A metal one would likely put it more toward the older end.

http://www.cdxetextbook.com/generalReference/standards/07.html

Well after I did a google search on it and finally getting back to this forum I realize now that it is alot older than I expected...and no...I have no intention on using it in my MGB which was also free I might add "Ron AKA", I found your comment quite funny when I realized how I worded the phrase. Looks like it is going to be displayed in the old garage, it will make for a good conversation if somebody asks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back