Castrol GTX HM shelf life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone.
Need a bit of your help, guys.

Just bought the last 4 quarts of Castrol GTX High Mileage 15w40, on sale at a local store.
HM oils are very rare and hard to find were i live, but the thing is it they were packaged in june 2004.
The store manager assured that if for some reason i wished to return it (even after the caps were open), he would give me a refund, and wrote it so i could do so.

Is 6 years too much as far as oil shelf life is concerned?
I've sent a mail asking the same thing to portuguese Castrol, but got no answer..

If i open them, is there any way of telling just by looking at the oil?

Thanks a lot, everyone.

I have 4 quarts 2003 M1 15W50 I bought in 2003-2004, I will use 2 quarts in 2000 MB E430 for the next oil change and the remaining 2 quarts next year.

Well, i'm very happy to know it is safe to use it.

A friend of my father scared the [censored] out of me when he said that after 6 years the mineral oil in it would have broke down in to some kind of nasty acid that would melt my engine beyond recovery..

Almost returned it because of him.

There is just not enough demand for HM oils in my country..
I was surprised to even find any, i was looking for them for quite a long time, almost got my hands on some Valvoline Maxlife, but had no luck.

But some HM GTX is better than nothing, mineral or not, and with 89k miles, i'm sure it will be good enough for a 3month/3000 mile OCI.

Thank you for spending some of your time helping me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back