Castrol GTX High Mileage vs. Full Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am considering using a High Mileage oil such as Caxtrol GTX High Mileage blend. I was disappointed to find out it is not a full synthetic.

I have not come across any problems with leaks or oil loss (Civic is full 3,500 miles after last oil change), so its not as if I NEED a high mileage blend, but I’m thinking that it never hurts to prepare for the worst. My OCI is going to be 8000 miles. Would I be better off with the GTX High Mileage blend, or with Castrol Edge or GTX, both full synthetics?

I was earlier intending to use Mobile1, but decided against it after seeing so many people bash Mobile1.

Several respected car makers use M1 as factory fill, but those talking through holes in their hats think they know more than the engine makers. Your choice of what to believe. If you're going to use Castrol, make sure to find out what the "cap color of the week" is.

Last edited:
If you're not addressing any high mileage engine issues,I'd say go for the Castrol Edge. But then again on here lately (and reading on oil co's websites) I keep reading that HM oils have a higher end/better add pack (and some co's say you can use an HM oil on a brand new car) so maybe HM oils are "better" than their standard siblings?

I like and have used Castrol HM a good bit, but it is on the lower tier of amount of syn in the "blend" as far as I can tell. Magnatec or Edge would be a better choice for an 8k OCI IMO.

Currently running the HM for about 5k OCI's in the Concorde and that's about as far as I care to push it.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I like and have used Castrol HM a good bit, but it is on the lower tier of amount of syn in the "blend" as far as I can tell. Magnatec or Edge would be a better choice for an 8k OCI IMO.

Currently running the HM for about 5k OCI's in the Concorde and that's about as far as I care to push it.

I guess it doesn't take much synthetic to make it a "blend," so I shouldn't expect an extended OCI from a blend.

OK, I guess I can go in two directions: either decide which Castrol full synthetic to use, or see if another company makes a synthetic high mileage. I see Valvoline makes a synthetic high mileage: LINK.

Any recommendations?

Last edited:
Pennzoil just came out with Platinum High Mileage. Mobil 1 High mileage seems to be very strong too.

PHM is a blend also and I found out from a Pennzoil tech that it has at least 40% syn and a "newer add pack". I would try that or if you like Castrol stuff, try Magnatec blend.

Originally Posted By: car51
PHM is a blend also and I found out from a Pennzoil tech that it has at least 40% syn and a "newer add pack". I would try that or if you like Castrol stuff, try Magnatec blend.

Interesting. If THIS LINK is the brand you were referring to, Penzoil states that it is a full synthetic.

Is this one you like/have used in the past?

Never used that as only Autozones in my area carry it. I use QSGB 5w20 and it's very quiet as is PYB. I put the PHM in the girlfriends moms 12' Malibu with the "Ecotec" engine and her mom said "it's quieter than I remember it ever being!" Must be good. I used the bronze bottle PHM also

He's talking about the bronze bottle Pennzoil HM. It is not marketed as a blend but a Pennzoil rep on here confirmed indeed it is.

Most likely what I will be running next OCI for the Jeep as that Jeep 4.0 sure likes the Pennzoil so that's what I usually give it.

I do like the Castrol HM blend but the blend amount on that one seems to be pretty low, Magnatec blends likely have much more syn base in them. Of course Edge is full syn as are the lightweight Magnatec offerings.

KCJeep said:
He's talking about the bronze bottle Pennzoil HM. It is not marketed as a blend but a Pennzoil rep on here confirmed indeed it is.
/quote]

OK thanks for the explanation.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: car51

Good to know because it does not say it is a blend on the jug or on their website.

I just changed oil last week, and filled it with the Pennzoil High Mileage Vehicle. My 3.1 is noticeably quieter now with the PHM than the Mobil Super High Mileage that I was previously using.

PQIA test of some high mileage oils.
http://www.pqiamerica.com/June 2014/consolidated highmileage2014.html

Originally Posted By: paulri
I guess it doesn't take much synthetic to make it a "blend," so I shouldn't expect an extended OCI from a blend.

With the majors, I wouldn't be too worried about how much is actually in a blend. I'm sure the black bottle synthetic would do just fine for your interval. What are you using now, or did I miss that. I'm generally not a fan of jumping around, so if you're already following decent intervals with a decent product successfully and you're happy with what you're paying, there's likely little need to change.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I'm sure the black bottle synthetic would do just fine for your interval. What are you using now, or did I miss that. I'm generally not a fan of jumping around, so if you're already following decent intervals with a decent product successfully and you're happy with what you're paying, there's likely little need to change.

I have been using whatever the local Toyota/Honda dealers have been using, as I have been going there for my oil changes. I called the Honda dealer, and I was told that they use their own Honda oil (?, that's just what the guy who answered the phone told me).

From here on out, I will be going to a local mechanic who told me I could bring in any oil and filter I wanted, and just pay him for labor (of changing the oil), so since I now have a choice, I'd like to make the best one. My plan is (if all goes well) not to jump around at all, but to use the same oil in these two vehicles as long as I have them.

Yeah, there is a local family run garage/tow place near me that uses GULF synblend oil and PArts Master filters. If you bring your own oil and filter its $12 I believe. Their oil change is $24.99 neighbor guy told me

Don't be so easily swayed.
Mobil 1 is a top oil so if you use any namebrand oil you will be fine.

Originally Posted By: paulri

From here on out, I will be going to a local mechanic who told me I could bring in any oil and filter I wanted, and just pay him for labor (of changing the oil), so since I now have a choice, I'd like to make the best one. My plan is (if all goes well) not to jump around at all, but to use the same oil in these two vehicles as long as I have them.

What oil does your local garage use?
My local uses valvoline durablend, a good quality semi-synthetic (30% synthetic last time I looked) that is Euro A3/B3/B4 and API SN/CF rated. There is nothing wrong with castrol magnatec semi-syn, I like castrol products, but its not different enough for me to bring it in and get the garage to use it instead of their valvoline. Now if I upgraded my oil to a full synthetic like castrol Edge, valvoline SynPower, M1, Shell Helix Ultra, etc then I would bring it in for them to use.

Yes HM oils tend to have more additives than a basic conventional oil, but all good oils have seal conditioners etc, and HDEO have a heavy add pack, and full synthetics tend to run a higher quality add pack.

You tend to get what you pay for.

Ask what the garage bulk fill is and what the price difference is. This is your starting point.

Last edited:
I think 8000 miles is too far to go on 4-quarts of oil.
27.gif

I am currently using Valvoline Full Synthetic HM. If you go their web site I am sure you will see it but it is a Full Synthetic for HM autos and I paid $25 for a 5 qt bottle at Wal-Mart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back